Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #1 
pijsmom

Swim Bladder question

I have a Betta who has been showing signs of swim bladder disorder for quite a few days. He has fasted a couple of days and I have given him 2 Epsom salt treatments, after that he seemed to be doing much better. I then did his regular water change and the next day I fed him only a couple of pellets. That evening he was floating at the top of the water again. Is there something else I need to be doing to keep this from being a reoccurring issue?
pijsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #2 
Eep Crood

Fish bladder is hard to cure. I would say your last goodbyes to your betta, just in case...
But try feeding him peas. Fasting him will have no effect on his swim bladder, eating has nothing to do with it. If the salt is helping, keep using it, but not for more than 14 days.
What size is your tank? Bettas can NEVER be permanently housed in something under a gallon. Otherwise your betta will not be happy and it can cause or contribute to diseases like swim bladder. At least 2.5 is recommended.
Also, what water do you use? And what do you add to it?
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #3 
pijsmom

Thank you for the information.

My tank is 1 gallon and I use tap water with water conditioner and aquarium salt added. I've taken a sample of my water and had it tested and the results were good.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #4 
Sathori

Is your tank heated?
At work we had a betta who had some severe issues with swim bladder and nothing seemed to make him better. He was floating at the top for at least a week or so, but always showed a fighting spirit.
So I convinced my manager to let me take him to my friend's place, where they always have their apartment heaters cranked. They cleaned his bowl regularly and kept him nice and warm. In a couple days he was showing major improvement.

Here's a before and after picture to show you :)
Name:  IMG_4202.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  45.7 KB
Name:  IMG_4453.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  37.6 KB

Don't give up hope on him! Try to feed him a bit less, or split up his feeding through out the day. Some bettas are sensitive to water changes, so he may just need a bit of extra help when you do water changes. Keep trying different things and don't give up hope!!
Sathori is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #5 
Fishybitty

You could also try Jungle Fungus Clear and see if that wouldn't help the little guy.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #6 
pijsmom

I haven't given up hope yet! :) He is in a 1 gallon tank and I don't have a heater right now but am trying to find something that I'm certain won't fry him. He's in a very warm corner of the house and his water stays around 74 degrees. I know he needs it a little warmer so I am trying to get that problem worked out.

Thanks for the help!