Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #11 
BettaDad

The tanks are not cycled enough... the ammonia and nitrite levels are still lethal

So this is my first owner experience with Bettas.... do they become stressed easily? How do they sit in the pet store for months in little containers if I can't keep them for a few more weeks that way? Or.... is the pet store mortality rate high?
BettaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some stress out pretty easily and others don't.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #13 
Zenandra
Banned

The petstore mortality rate is extremely high. They get in new shipments of bettas every week to replace the ones that have been sold, and the ones that have passed on. Most people think that bettas are extremely hearty because of what they go through in stores, and based on all of the stories of them "being able to live forever in a cup because they live in puddles in the wild" Which we all know is totally false. The truth of the matter is they need proper care like any other fish or they will stress out and probably die. Stress kills. If you put a platy or an oscar or a gourami in a cold bowl and constantly gave them new water to get used to they would likely stress out and die in a few days. Bettas are hearty, yours have lasted weeks, but eventually the stress will catch up with them.

I'm not saying anything bad about you :) I think you have done everything you thought you should do, and I am so happy that your boys will be living in 5 gallon heated tanks, the majority of bettas don't get that luxury.

Is there any way you can get them 1 gallon bowls? They have 1 gallon bowl kits at walmart for like $10 each. That way they will have more space and you will only need to give them partial (50%) water changes every other day, and you won't need to remove them from the bowls at all.
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #14 
BettaDad

Given that I can't move them to the tanks yet.... is there anything I can do to de-stess them until the tanks are ready? Should I stop feeding them daily so they don't have to go thru as many water changes? Keep the area dark or covered?

Any thought about using aquarium salt? It claims to reduce stress

What about diet.... what do you feed your bettas? We have a variety of foods.... freeze dried blood worms is what the pet store recommened but we also have frozen brine shrimp, and I just purchased some Hikari betta pellets (higher fiber to make sure they are going to the bathroom OK) and some Betta flakes by Nutrafin. We feed a small amout once per day....knowing the stomach is the size of their eye and try to vary the diet

At this point I would gladly spend $10 for gallon bowls if you think that will help..... are those heated? I have spent many $hundreds so far on this project and really want to keep my two remaining beautiful boys alive. I would be crushed to loose another one and that is not even to mention my daughters for whom they were a Christmas gift.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-08-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #15 
Zenandra
Banned

They are not heated but you can buy small flat heaters that are perfect for bowls, let me see if I can find a picture of them online..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JLPFE/...SIN=B0006JLPFE

There you go, its called a hydro mini heater, I've used them, they're not very powerful and can't heat 5 gallons like it says they can. They are perfect for 1-2 gallons. They don't have a heat setting so just make sure you get a thermometer so you can make sure they're not eating the water too much. But I've used them in a 1 gallon and the temp was always a comfortable 78-80 degrees

You're diet sounds great. Freeze-dried foods should only be fed as a treat though, not a stable diet as they can cause severe constipation. In my opinion Hikari betta pellets are the best out there, I feed those mixed with Topfin color enhancing betta pellets twice a day and a snack of thawed bloodworms every other day.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-08-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #16 
BettaDad

Thanks !

I will leave work early and get larger bowls and a heaters. How long to I need to let that tank set (I will treat the water first of course) before I dare move them into the new habitat from your experience?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #17 
Zenandra
Banned

Setup the bowls, add the heaters, when the water is at a good temp, begin acclimating the boys. Float them in a cup with a lid in the bowl for 15 minutes, then poor out a little water and add a little tank water, keep doing this every 15 minutes until their cup is filled with the tank water, then they can be released! I have to run to the barn now but please let me know how they do!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #18 
BettaDad

Thanks again - I will bounce back this weekend or by latest Monday with an update on how we are doing.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #19 
vaygirl

Good luck!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #20 
BettaDad

Thanks...

Does aquarium salt help reduce the stress at all?