Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #1 
3ltonWorri3s

Is this normal?

There is some clearish cobweb like matter that has been coming off of my Betta. I noticed this at the pet store last month when I got him. After a while it went away, but now it's coming back. It seems to be coming off of his fins. Is this normal for Betta?

Thanks for any help in advance!
3ltonWorri3s
3ltonWorri3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #2 
kelly528

EEP! Not normal at all. Start dosing aquarium salt for now and I will snoop around for a diagnosis when I get the time.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #3 
3ltonWorri3s

Okay, I have been doing that like, every other day. I wasn't sure how many times was to much. I don't have aquarium salt though. I heard table salt was okay. Is that right??
Old 01-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #4 
New2Betas

NO! Table salt is not okay!
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #5 
3ltonWorri3s

Table salt without sodium isn't okay?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #6 
New2Betas

Salt is sodium. The salt must be non-iodized and contain no additives.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #7 
3ltonWorri3s

That's what I ment. lol Sorry. It's non-iodized.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #8 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Aquarium salt only ...

Hi,
Here is a recent article I wrote for EzineArticles on the topic of salt baths, and NO table salt is good! Use sea or aquarium salt only.

"A salt bath may be the last thing you think could benefit your freshwater betta fish, but is actually a very effective, age-old cure that is one of the first steps you need to take to nurse your betta back to health.

How can salt help a freshwater fish, you ask? The bacteria and protozoa that attack your fish when its immune system is deficient are very low single cell forms of life. Common betta diseases are then transmitted to your fish by these simple life forms. They have almost no form of defense system, so even a gradual change in the level of salt in your aquarium will cause instant death to these primitive beings. They simply can not adapt quickly enough to the resultant change in their environment.

Why doesn't it harm my betta, you may ask? Fish are more complex beings, and have internal organs such as kidneys to help them deal with external environmental changes. They are much hardier than microscopic bacteria. Therefore a very minute change in the salt levels of their tanks causes them almost no discernible level of discomfort.

To learn what ratio of salt to fresh water to use, consult a comprehensive Betta Care Guide for your particular fish. Usually, a ratio of one tablespoon per five gallons of aquarium water is fine for ongoing conditions, but this level needs to be significantly increased when treating betta diseases in a recovery tank or bucket.

Using salt to treat your sick betta is just one step to take to bring your fish back to full health. Once healthy, ongoing tank maintenance needs to be followed, and other tips and tricks can be used to ensure your betta lives as long and healthy a life as possible. Most bettas live about six months on average, but when proper preparation and care are employed, you can have a vibrant, lively betta for three to five years.

Want to double your betta's life? Need to know all about betta diseases? How about ongoing maintenance? Let a 20 year betta expert answer these questions and more in his best-selling Betta e-book Betta Fish Secrets."
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #9 
3ltonWorri3s

OH! So I can use sea salt if I don't have aquarium salt?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #10 
3ltonWorri3s

Update:

He is now acting really weird. I came home from work to find him having spasms and he's scrapping himself against his rock, and that cobweb stuff is everywhere! So, I just did a 100% water change like I do every other day. I put the salt in as well and got him used to the new water before I put him in. The water is at 75.

He's calmed down a little bit, but he is still scrapping himself every so often ...
What else can I do?? I made sure I cleaned everything. The tank is free of the cobwebs (for now).