Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #1 
Jessiefish

Angry Fin Frustration

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I need to vent, anyway.

So. I finally found an orange betta (my favorite color -- I have been looking for one for a while). His name is Julius. He was in a 1-gallon mini-bow all by himself with gravel and a silk plant. He was in there for a week or so with no fin issues whatsoever, even with a pretty good current going on in there (which he didn't seem to mind). I did my water changes, etc.

Last night I decided to switch him to my 3-gallon Eclipse that houses my ADF (and previously some ghost shrimp until the frog ate them...). The betta, Kroenen, that was in that tank got moved to isolation because his fins were getting ripped and he started tailbiting and he just didn't seem happy anymore. He's now in the 1-gallon and seems to be adjusting fine.

I cleaned out the Eclipse last night, switched all the plants to silk (thinking that plastic plants could very well have been part of my problem), put Julius in the tank and everything seemed fine -- I watched him with Johann (my ADF) and there weren't any problems.

Until this morning... I noticed some very slight tearing of Julius' caudal fin. I put him in a floating isolation tank right away with a little extra salt, but I am so frustrated! The water's clean. There are no sharp edges. The current is actually less strong than what was in the 1-gallon.

Could it simply be that the ADF has to go? (Into another tank, of course -- I am not going to throw him out the back door. I actually really enjoy the little guy. )

Any suggestions/advice?
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Are you sure you have an African Dwarf frog or an African Clawed frog? I know that African Clawed frogs will go after bettas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #3 
Jessiefish

I am 95% sure he is an ADF. I got him at PetSmart. He has webbed feet and hands, unlike the more claw-esque appendages I'm seeing on Google Images of ACFs. I've had him for, um, about five months. He's really quite lazy and seems to only attack the turkey baster for his bloodworms.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #4 
Jayy

maybe hes a tail bitter?
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #5 
Grant83

no, he's not a tail bitter, its just a small rip/separation in the very tips of his tail, not a bite mark.
Grant83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was just checking aout the frog. Sometimes people get the two mixed up.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #7 
Jessiefish

I know. It was a good question as I'd never really looked at the difference between the two kinds of frogs.

Still not quite sure why he's a shrimp killer, though...
Old 01-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #8 
Jessiefish

Well, Julius let me know what he thinks of being in isolation... he somehow flung himself out of the Lee's two-way thing through a crack that was less than an inch! I looked over and saw a slimy twitching orange blob on the counter! He scared the crap out of me!! So I put him back in the tank. I think I'll just see how it goes for now... maybe I was being overprotective.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, that bad boy! lol I'm glad you saw him and I hope he's ok.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #10 
Jessiefish

He seems totally fine. He's been zooming around exploring and snuggling with the plants. I've heard the tales, but haven't had any "jumpers" myself. I'm glad he landed on the counter instead of the floor or carpet, though I was too freaked out to pick him up myself so I yelled for help.