Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #1 
CodeRed

I'm thinking...

Sherbet may not make it through the night. He's been doing bad all day, very lethargic and not able to make it to the surface of the tank without trying VERY hard. I moved him from his five gallon into a half gallon bowl, so he can reach the surface better. I just got back from Avatar, and he didn't come up, so I freaked out. He did eventually come up, but spazzed out as soon as he reached the surface, darting all over the place. He's now breathing very heavily at the bottom, and isn't going up to the surface anymore. I'm so worried. I have my fingers crossed, but I don't think he'll make it.
This isn't a thread asking what can be wrong, or what I can do, but just saying I could lose him. I know there's nothing I can do besides keep his water clean, and pray for the best. Meds would probably send him over the top. He's in a very bad way right now.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Awww, I'm so sorry about Sherbet. He's so pretty!! It doesn't sound good.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #3 
CodeRed

Thanks (: I forgot to mention he's always resting on his plants, and not flaring at all, which is totally unlike him. He usually sleeps at the top of the tank, and he's my flaring beast. I had him next to Bliss, who was flaring up a storm, but he just sat on the bottom. It's breaking my heart ):

Here are a couple pics of him right now...

They actually make him look kind of healthy, but it's so unusual for him to be so lethargic (his tank is heated, so it's not that). Also, it's showing he doesn't have any outward issues at all, like fin rot, velvet, ich, or fungal infections. Whatever is it, it's on the inside. I wish you could see a video of him swimming to the top of the tank, because that would be proof enough he's not right ):
Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm so sorry about Sherbet. :( He's gorgeous.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Oh no!! Not Sherbet!! :'((( I'm so sorry CR....
I know exactly how you feel, this exact same thing happened to Vlad.... :'( I'm so, so sorry.....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #6 
CodeRed

Thanks guys. So far, he's sleeping, so I haven't seen much improvement (lol). I'm hoping he gets a little bit better overnight, but I can't be sure. I am not ashamed to say he is my baby, and favorite, so I'll be devastated if I lose him. He's such a sweetie, and is usually so curious and full of life. I really, really hope he gets better.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope so, too! It's probably something internal.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

How old is he? It sounds like last stages of life but usually that doesn't come up all at once.

I hope he makes it through. We'll be keeping our fingers (and fins) crossed here.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #9 
CodeRed

I only got him in Jun, so he's probably only about a year old. He's coming up to see me today, but then he drifts back down and sits on the bottom, and is still having problems reaching the surface. I'd hoped he would have a miraculous recovery overnight, but it's looking like that will not be the case.

Edit: He flared! :D:D:D I put my finger against the glass, and he slowly came up to me... and then he flared! I'm so happy. I'm hoping that this is him trying to prove that he'll pull through x3 I'm such an optimist. I also noticed he's got the beginning of a bubblenest on the top of the tank. I don't even know how he managed to stay up there long enough to make the bubbles.
I love my Sherbet :D

Last edited by CodeRed; 01-10-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #10 
doggyhog

Oh NO! :( Not Sherbert!!!! Oh I hope he makes it!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote