Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 AM   #1 
FuulieQ

Exclamation Help with Housing?

Hello, I'm FuulieQ and I'm brand new on this site, as well as to betta ownership!

I had one when I was much younger, but it was the typical plant and vase setup, which I've since learned is a bad way to house bettas. He lived for a year, though, so he must have done at least alright on what we gave him.

Anyway, I've now gotten myself a new companion! He's a gorgeous turquoise veiltail - you can see him in my avatar. :)

I'm concerned, though, about the tank that I received with him (he was a present). The tank is supposed to accomodate two bettas, but upon seeing it I immediately resolved to get just one. It's not very big at all. Here's an image of the tank ---> http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/720/...qSPvPac4MP.jpg

It's called the Penn Plax BETTA BOWFRONT DOUBLE TANK. Of course, I took out the divider to give him some more space, but I'm still concerned that it is too small, and has no filter.

I'd really like to take good care of this fish. My budget is limited and I'm liable to get in trouble if I spend much more money on him, but if I have to, I will.

Help the inexperienced newb? ;w;
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #2 
dr2b

They should be in at least 2.5 gallons or more. You can buy a critter keeper at Petsmart, Petco, or any other local petstore and keep him in there. You can get them in various sizes and they are very inexpensive. Bettas should also be kept at a constant temperature of 78 to 82 degrees. So you may need a heater if the place you are keeping him at is cool.

He is a gorgeous boy! I love the color of him!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #3 
New2Betas

Bettas need at least a 2.5 gallon tank and a heater. You can find very cheap tanks on CL and Petsmart has a 10 gallon with hood for $23 right now.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #4 
FuulieQ

Thanks, that's what I suspected. :) I'll try and get up there and replace his tank next time I clean his water. It's always hot in this room for me, so hopefully he'll do alright, but I'll watch carefully. Will I need a filter for him?

He doesn't seem to like me much. Every time I get close he freaks out, and I'm always afraid that I'm stressing him. xD
Old 01-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #5 
New2Betas

Filters are not 100% necessary. But if you get a big tank its nice to have.

Give him time to warm up to you. Remember he just went threw a traumatic event being moved from the breeder to the store and now to you.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #6 
FuulieQ

I'm hoping to get a three gallon. I don't have much space for more than that, sadly, but it'll be nice compared to what he has now. There's even this obnoxious pointy-looking plastic plant glued to the bottom. I think I read that those can hurt his fins?

I'll give him some space and time to cool down. Maybe that will help.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 AM   #7 
New2Betas

The trick with plants is to run them over a pair of pantyhose, if they snag ditch the plant.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #8 
FuulieQ

Yeah, I was a little lax and forgot about that rule when I set up the "tank" (it's more like a bug catcher, isn't it xD). Ahhhh, I feel so bad for him in that little thing.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. A 3 gallon sounds great for your betta.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He'll be fine until you can get a better tank. A 1G needs to be cleaned 2 to 3 times a day 100%. I would cut the plant if I were you. In the picture it looks very spikey and could damage your bettas fins. And 3Gs is great!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote