Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #1 
0ut0fsight4443

Need some advice.

The last betta I had, shared a tank with five black neons and a plecos for most of his years. I had to get a bigger tank for the pleco when he became to big for the 25 gallon that I had for the betta. To replace him I researched that a loach could be compatible, with out the size issue of a pleco, and still clean the bottom of the tank. He is a great bottom dweller and keeps the sand almost spotless. After a couple of months my old man vail tail finally called it quits, and died of natural causes. After about a week of a very sad looking betta tank without a betta, we decided to get another. The new betta is an elephant ear and a little smaller then the vail tail. For the first, week while he adequate to his new home, the two were fine. The loach stayed in his world under his log or behind the filter, and the betta stayed toward the top close to his hemic. Then the betta found that the log was a fun place to explore. The loach became very territorial and started to chase him for a bit every time the betta would go toward the bottom of the tank. Now I am noticing a sleight tear in his bottom fin that was not there this morning, but he has been chased all day. My boyfriend is threatening to take the loach out and flush him if he sees him go after "his" betta one more time. I currently have the loach in a separate 10 gallon tank to save him from the toilet, but can not keep him here long term, as the tank he is in is my quarantine/hospital tank and I just may need it for something later on.

I like my little loach but he has had a vicious past. I am currently hold only four of the original five neons, as the fifth one was a female and the last time she gave birth was not for breeding. She spilled her eggs all over the tank and the four boys devoured as many as they could before the loach could eat them. The loach got the majority of the eggs and became fat. When she started showing signs of becoming pregnant again, he didn't want to wait for the eggs and ate them out of her. For two days she lived without a stomach before dying of the wound. He has since became very aggressive and I think that is causing the issue now that I have a new betta. I want to put him in with the pleco, catfish and angelfish for the remaining three to four years of his life. My man says no, that he will become the little fish in a big fish tank and will not live well with them.

Any opinions on how to solve my problem without the need of killing a fish are welcome.
0ut0fsight4443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #2 
Nigel Nortonberry

Oh dear. Very sorry for your loss of the fighter and Tetra. They must have been beautiful to marvel at...
Now, what you have there is quite a sticky situation. I personally advise against putting the loach in with the pleco tank as they would both become extremely territorial against each other, assuming it was a common pleco. Plecos are recommended to be the only bottom dwellers and algae cleaners in a tank, and putting this loach, whichever species it may be, would cause stress and even potentially be fatal to one or the other in a tank without alot of cover and hiding caves... So my advice and honest opinion would be to not combine the Pleco and Loach if you can.

Now I am assuming that you have 3 different tanks in all, the betta and neons, the quarantine and the pleco tank yes?.
Betta and angel = death and doom.

So the best thing to do in this case, If i have my facts right in the tanks area, is that you should put the betta with the pleco and catfish. THe angel fish can go with the neons and you could give the loach a try in there.

Neons are fast and the angel is aggressive, which is quite risky but better than letting your betta be chased, your betta doesnt seem to have a typical overly-aggressive fighter characteristic, rather, more peaceful. So give it a try and monitor carefully. I am currently keeping my betta with 5 neons and a bn pleco as well!
Nigel Nortonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #3 
0ut0fsight4443

I actually have four tanks, three set up. I am keeping the other 55 gallon broken down until the time that I will need it, which will be at sexual maturity for the three wolves (angelfish). My Pleco is a common gentle giant @ 12" currently, and yes the new beta seems less aggressive then my last. The chasing is all over territory. The Loach is a yoyo loach, and he seems to think that everything in the bottom five gallons of the 25 gallon tank is his. Since I have removed the little guy my beta is exploring the bottom of the tank because he can without tension. I might just buy another tank that I can throw the loach into and get some more fish to keep him company. I mean like two more loaches and some cannon fotter schooling fish. He is a little mad that he has no sand right now, to dig in, but he is loving being by himself, but I do think the novelty will wear off when he gets board. Besides a ten gallon is not suitable enough to be a permanent home for him. He really needs a 20-25 gallon with a lot of hiding spaces, and some friends to talk to.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #4 
Nigel Nortonberry

No worries. Sounds worth a try. And just would like to ssuggest, sometimes you get fish personaIities that thrive in a community and groups whereas you get others that hate life and just want to bring pain on others haha, just like people! Great that you can afford another tank. That is what you would do to solve this issue. Maybe, before adding other loaches, monitor your loach by himself/herself for about a week or 2. Then if it seems bored, introduce no more than one st a time because the stressed fish would be even more stressed if they have a serial killer on the loose haha. And remember, always play it safe and have patience xD good luck pal.
Nigel Nortonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #5 
0ut0fsight4443

So after two days of exile to the ten gallon tank, the loach was not happy. No sand just a great big rock to climb into and his favorite log. It was torcher to watch how mad he was. We added him to the Big Fish Pond. The first encounter was with the Big Man. He took one look, jumped, and ran to a near flower. He then proceeded to get stuck. For a couple of minutes he tried to shimmy forward. When he gave up, he Shimmied backwards, came out and went to take a second look. This time Big Man chased him out a couple of times, but have came to an agreement. The Loach has enough attitude to help keep the angelfish out of the side of the tank that is Big Man's. In return for his services Loki can eat as much as he wants to help clean up his area of the tank, and Big Man, will ensure to keep some morsels around for him to eat. Hiding in little places, and the kind that he doesn't like. For now they are fine all together in that tank. I will later move the Plecosomus and Loach to the other 55 gallon. That way I can fill it with sand and set it up how I want it to house them and maybe something else. The Angelfish and the Pictus will stay where they are, as that tank has a lot of gravel that was expensive and it feels like a waste to throw it out now. Nothings wrong with it other then the loach likes sand.

And the Betta, well he is happier then ever. He can go where ever he wants and no one chases him for it. I still feel that he needs a bottom dweller in that tank though. I just need to research the different types better, for what I add to the tank with his personality.