Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #1 
Noko

Unhappy Too cold, or something else?

Okay, so after about a month of looking around this forum, I decided to join so I could get some input on what is wrong with my betta. I am thinking he just needs a warmer tank, so he is going to be put in my ten gallon tank once I put all the fish in the ten gallon into a much larger tank (At least 25 gallons), and change all the water and cycle it.

My betta (Alpha (my dad named him XD)) currently is in a 1.5 gallon tank. He has a small filter, and a bubbler. There is one plastic plant in the tank along with a little cave. I feed him flake food, pellets and I tried frozen blood-worms but he didn't eat any of them. The tank is currently at 70 degrees. He has some issues swimming around, and just sorta floats at the top of the tank. He used to have some fin rot, but it looks like that has cleared up. Also, his spine is sorta curved, but he can straighten out. He is very skinny, and is slowly becoming dull in color.

I will be happy to post some pictures if needed. I think he just needs a warmer tank around 76 degrees, but sadly I won't be able to get him in the ten gallon for a few weeks . I am thinking about just putting him in the ten gallon tank with my neon tetras, and my australian rainbow that I have raised since she was just an egg. I am a little hesitant of that though. I don't know if the other fish will pick on him. I used to have a betta with some neon tetras and he did fine, but am just a little hesitant after doing some research.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think the problem is that your betta is too cold, like you said. It's good that you are going to upgrade him to a bigger tank. A 1.5 gallon needs to be changed 1-2 times a week. There may be some water quality issues too, because of the small tank. For now, keep him in clean water and put him in the warmest room in the house. I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #3 
Noko

Thank you. I thought it might be he was just cold. Do you think it would be safe to put him in the ten gallon tank with the neon tetras and the australia rainbow? None of them seem to be very spastic, or seem like they would bully the betta. My australian rainbow hides a lot, and the tetras are just happy to be away from the petstore.

The ten gallon is defiantly a little warmer than the 1.5 gallon tank, but I am not sure how warm exactly. I should go do some research on what temperature tetras and australian rainbows prefer. I will most likely raise the temperature anyways because I am sure it is too cold for the australian rainbow.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

He might do ok with the tetras. It really depends on their personalities. I don't know anything about the Australian rainbow. You can try it and see if they get along ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #5 
Noko

Okay. I will try to put him in the ten gallon tank. I will watch him very closely to make sure he isn't being picked on, or being a bully. I have a little isolation net thing (I got it years ago so I don't remember the name) that you put inside the tank, so I might use that so he gets used to everyone first, then set him free. If it doesn't work out, he will just have to spend a few more days in a small tank.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Good luck. Hope it works out well in the 10 gallon. Keep us posted.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #7 
Noko

I put Alpha in the ten gallon today with all the other fishies. He is REALLY stressed out right now, and figured a way to get out of the small isolation net thing. No one is bugging him, but he is hiding in the corner. I am going to check in on him every five minutes until I can't possibly watch after him (in like 1 1/2 hours I have to leave). He is really scared and stressed, so I will let him be.

P.S. The temperature in the ten gallon is about 78 degrees right now :)

P.S.S My Tetra has a red eye. After some research I decided he popped a blood vesel. I am going to put him in another tank cause he is so small :(

EDIT: He is getting his color back right now. When I went to check in on him, he was bright. He is flaring at his reflection right now XD Well, his attempt at a stressed out flare. He looks so happy already, and no longer has the stress lines (I forgot what you really called them...)

Last edited by Noko; 01-12-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Good news. You will still have to keep an eye on all their behavior for a while. Once your betta de-stresses, he might be the aggresor LOL.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #9 
Noko

I stressed him out after putting him back in the little net thing (I figured out bettas will eat neon tetras) . I didn't see him yesterday, but my dad said he looked a little stressed still. I am going to set up the bigger tank this weekend, and move the other fish in there in a few weeks. I could move them into my dad's tank, but I doubt the really old fish in there would like the tetras. I am a little hesitant of putting anything in my dad's tank (just got rid of ich). All the fish died out except for two species...

Back to the betta. My dad gave him a few little pellets last night. He apparently didn't eat them. I'm gonna let him relax for a while before I do anything else with him. I won't feed him tonight (well, I will give him a pellet, and if he eats it, he will get some more) cause I doubt he would eat anything. He is the only fish I know that would give up some bloodworms. Even my neon tetras looked like they wanted some, but they didn't understand that they were food.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Poor lil guy doesn't know which end is up at this point. Can you put a small heater in the 1.5 gallon and let him be for a while? Sounds like he's one of those guys who needs to be by himself.

I have one male in a 1.5 gal. trying to regrow some fins at the moment and he's fine with water changes of 1 gallon every other day. And I have a 25w heater in there and have never had a problem with the temp. But I only get heaters that I can adjust the temp on - some others might overheat the tank if you can't control the temp.