Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #1 
Gilbert

Question Filter and heater questions

Thanks for all the great advice on the plants and decor! But now I have questions about a filtration system and heater.

I got a 10 gallon kit from petco that came with a Aqueon Power Filter that I don't care for. Can anyone recommend a good filtration system for a 10 gallon tank?

I also bought a Hydor mini heater for a 5-10 gallon tank(15W) and the tank hasn't changed in temperature at all. I don't know if it's because it came broken or the room just doesn't get warm enough. Any ideas or recommendations on a heater as well?

Thanks again for everyone's help
Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #2 
neenjar

I am a big fan of marineland products. The penguin 100 filter and stealth 50 visi-therm heater are top notch equipment.

The penguin 100 uses a bio wheel that when cycled contains several thousand times the amount of good bacteria than a sponge type filter or undergravel. You will want to make a flow diverter on the outlet for it though. I used a piece of 2 liter bottle.

The stealth 50 is in a non breakable plastic tube and will keep you tank in that optimal 78-80 range.

15w is not quite enough for 10 gallons, would do ok in a 3.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I second the Marineland stealth heater. I've been very happy with mine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #4 
Gilbert

grrr darn petco for lying about that heater >=l

Thanks Neenjar! I'm going to buy them both tomorrow :)
Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #5 
sunkissedinCA

lol dont trust petco OR petsmart when it comes to animal care. they tend to be very uneducated when it comes to the animals that their job requires them to care for.
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #6 
fishboy95

I have the same brand of heater but myne is the mini heater 2-5 gallon. i didnt notice any tempeture changes when i fist got it either. I recently found out that it takes a while to heat the tank. Increases myne from 74-79 now
fishboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #7 
chirpybirdy

Mini Bow filter

My Aqueon 5 gallon mini bow has a filter built right into the top. It lays across the top of the aquarium. It seems inadequate to me. But what do I know. Does anyone else have a filter on their 5 gallon Aqueon mini bow that is built in rather than one that sits inside the tank? Do they work good enough to keep the tank clean? My tank seems cloudy. It has only been up for 4 days but I would think the water would be crystal clear since it was just set up. The filter seems to suck water up through a tube and then spit it over the filter cartridge and it seems to just flow over the filter and dump back into the tank. I don't know if i should take this tank back and try a different tank or give it more time. Any experience with this filter system to share?
chirpybirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #8 
LisaC144

100% stealth heater. I bought an AquaClear for my 5 gallon and I am actually replacing it with the Stealth. I don't care about the wasted money. I also use the Stealth on my 55g. The nice thing about the Stealth is that you can automatically set the numeric temperature with the dial instead of having to fiddle with it until the temperature is correct on your thermometer and adjusting it for when the light clicks on and off (like most heaters). Especially in a small aquarium, temperatures can flucuate quite easily, hence the beauty of the Stealth allowing you to adjust the temperature by setting it on the dial.

As for filtration, I personally like the AquaClear's. Filter media never needs to be replaced. Just rinsed in old tank water. They make one for 5-20 gallons. However, it really depends on what you'll be housing in your tank. Assuming it is a betta, they need very minimul water movement. Most would recommend a sponge filter for a betta tank. They are only about $7 but also require an air pump (about $10) to run it.
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote