Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Unhappy Moving Stress. :<

I've just bought a turquoise veiltail male from a local provider near my home. I tried to minimize stress when moving him, but he still managed to rip his fins up quite a bit from thrashing around in the water.

It's mostly just his tail fin, and he seems to be adjusting alright to his new tank (I fed him this morning, he ate at least some of what I gave him). But I was wondering, how quickly will his poor tail heal, and is there anything I can do to help him heal?

Thanks,
~Fuulie
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

??? he ripped his fins in the water? Are you sure he didn't bite them or get them caught on something?

You can buy some aquarium salt and add it to the tank... make sure it is fully dissolved before you put it in the tank. Don't put too much in. The salt will help calm him and facilitate healing.

You can also order some indian almond leaves off ebay.. these are great for healing fins, calming, and antibacterial properties.. they're pretty cheap also.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #3 
FuulieQ

Well, I THINK so... I heard from another site that if VTs move too quickly, the rushing water can get into tiny rips in their fins and make them way bigger- which seems to be what happened. :c

Okay. I bought some aquarium salt earlier today, so I'll put some in. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

hmm I've never heard that. I've never had a problem with my VTs unless they were biters.

Make sure your carefull with the salt... if its not fully dissolved it can burn your fish. I would put LESS then the required amount at first.

The salt will stay in the tank until you do a water change so DO NOT add more salt unless you do a 100% change. If you do a partial change make sure you adjust the amount of salt you put back in to match the amount of water your putting in... ie if you do a 20% pwc make sure you only put 20% of the required salt back in.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

Okay, thanks very much! How long do you think it will take for him to heal up?

I only put a pinch of salt grains in there for him this time around, because he's in a pretty small tank until I can scrape up the funds to buy him a bigger one. I feel bad for confining him, but until my 10gal tank is settled in I can't do anything.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

That all depends on how well you keep the water clean and give him good care. When my fish are sick or hurt I put them in a 1 gallon "hospital" tank to treat them.. I give them 90-100% water changes EVERYDAY and feed the best foods possible (usually live).

If its the fish in your avatar.. those slits will heal FAST.. I'd say in a few days they'll almost be gone.. but again it all depends on the fish and the care.

IMO clean water is the most beneficial thing you can give a fish to help it heal.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #7 
FuulieQ

Yup, that's Freedy. C:

OK, I'll replace some of his water today, then, and hopefully get his new tank tomorrow or wednesday. He's not very active today, he just sort of hangs in the water...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #8 
louu

oh yeah my little guy got a couple of slits like that recently from a bad plastic plant (now removed) and they generally took about 3 days to heal without salt :) he will be hunky dorey in no time!
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #9 
Jupiter

Clean water and some aquarium salt will perk him up in no time! it'll take him a few dayss to adjust to his new home. In the mean time, remove and sharp plants or objects that could be tearing his fins from the tank.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #10 
FuulieQ

Good! ;w;

Yeah, he's starting to heal, I can see the rips getting smaller and smaller.... although he reopened a few of them today when I moved him to his new 5 gallon tank. :C