Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #1 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Unhappy I'm such a bad fish mom...

Casper's sick now...I have NO idea what's wrong with him. I'm keeping his water warm (76 degrees), but it seems like he's getting worse. He stays on the top mostly on his side and when he goes down to the bottom it's like he can't swim, he'll start rolling and freaking out. He hasn't eaten in a couple days. I really don't know what to do. I put aquarium salt in his tank and he's in a 1G hospital tank that I'm cleaning every other day. His stomach isn't big so it's not SBD. And no, I don't have any test kits. *sighs* On a good note, Poseidon's doing great. I feel like I shouldn't even be giving my advice on here because I can't even keep all of my fish healthy.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry to hear about Casper. It sounds like something internal. I wish I had an answer for you. No, you aren't a bad fish mom! Sometimes these things happen for no reason. You have him in a hospital tank and are doing all you can for him. I sure hope he gets better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #3 
CodeRed

Don't say that! You have so many fish it's impossible to keep them all healthy all the time :P You're doing great! And like the rest of us, sometimes our fish just get sick...
I hope he gets better ): He's so pretty...
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #4 
Noko

I highly doubt your a bad fish mom. You are probably 80x better with fish than me. There are just some things you can't prevent/ catch on to until they poor fish looks miserable. I am sure Casper appreciates everything you have done for him, and many other betta's. I hope he gets better soon!
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Thanks guys! Yeah, he just freaks out and twirls and spins. It scares the crap out of me.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #6 
sunkissedinCA

aw you're not a bad fish mom! stuff happens. that's really odd..i agree with DQ, it might be something internal. i really hope your little guy gets better.
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Is there a medicine that can help him? He isn't bloated and he can still move all of his fins, but he just choses not to when he goes to the bottom. He just twirls.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #8 
Zenandra
Banned

Awww im sorry hun! *hug* I agree it might be something internal. Fish can damage their swim bladders, they don't just have to be bloated to have swimbladder problems. If he's acting swimbladdery (not being able to swim well floating to the surface and such) then he may have somehow damaged his swimbladder. I would lower the water level so he can get to the surface with out much trouble, give him somekind of big leafy plant he can rest on and see how he does!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Thanks Zenandra! Ok, that makes sense. I did lower the water level for him, but I don't have a plant in there. I have a silk one I'm not using so I'll put it in there.