Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #1 
KristiLee

2.5 minibow + Red Sea filter??

I am currently in the process of setting up Henry's new tank. I bought a 2.5 gal minibow, but due to reading about the filter taking up space, being too loud (I'm in a dorm and I highly doubt my roomie would appreciate a loud filter), and potentially damaging fins, I went along with what many reviewers of this tank said (on petco/petsmart.com) and purchased a Red Sea Deco Art Nano filter to use instead. However, I am having troubles fitting the filter on the tank properly. Any advice? Thank you!
KristiLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #2 
KristiLee

Or should I just try using the filter it came with?? Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with the filter? I'm just worried about the reviews I've read where people mention their bettas' fins getting caught/ damaged.

If it makes any difference, he's a VT.

Last edited by KristiLee; 01-09-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #3 
KristiLee

Also, upon further research, I found that there are two different 2.5 minibows; one with an underground air pump/ filter, and one with the filter attached to the hood. Mine is the one with the filter attached to the hood. Does anyone know which filter was the one (or was it both?) that people were talking about harming their bettas??

And sorry for the multiple posts... The edit button seems to have run away and my lack of sleep isn't allowing me to find it.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #4 
KristiLee

Here is a picture (hopefully it works) of the filter when it's set up.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

My minibow doesnt have that filter but it looks a lot like the eclipse filters... does your betta have a problem with the flow? If not I wouldn't worry about it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #6 
KristiLee

I haven't transferred him to his new home yet, because I haven't been able to get a Master test kit yet. So I'm waiting til after I do, which should hopefully be soon.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I would just put him in and see what he does. Some bettas like the flow some don't its all about what the fish's personality is.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #8 
KristiLee

I just put him in and so far he seems fine.. He seems to enjoy the current, actually, and he's eagerly exploring his new home (especially the filter!) I'm just watching to make sure the filter tube, where the water goes in, doesn't damage his fins when he get's too close to it.

Edit: Haha. Ok. So I just realized that I had gotten the cords mixed up and had something else plugged in instead of the filter. Ooops. The "current" I saw must have just been the water moving from him swimming around at the top. However, now I'm 100% sure I have the filter plugged in.. and he still seems fine =). He was a little startled at first, but he's still managing to swim around the top of his tank just fine, and can even stay in one spot when he wants too. And he is still enthralled by the filter. Now it's just a wait and see type of thing.

Last edited by KristiLee; 01-09-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #9 
koiholder2010

aquarium design?

i keep on changing around the aquariums looks i cant seem to find the right look i like a natural look but cant rele get that
koiholder2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #10 
KristiLee

It just tore his fin a bit =(.