Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #1 
HorsesAndFish

I'm new and I bought a betta today....

....and then I read this forum. Should have done things in reverse order, hindsight is 20/20, eh?

Hi, I'm new.

I bought (or liberated, depending on your view point) a Betta today from petco because two weeks ago one of my two goldfish died and I thought the remaining one would be lonely . I picked the most vibrant and active one I saw, it was interesting to hold his little cup at eye level and have him making face/eye contact with me on the way home.

I have a 3.5g tank (http://www.opentip.com/Home-Garden/P...p-1152712.html) with two fake plants, a treasure chest decoration and a hydor mini heater (at least petco gets something right). Petco also told me the food I have for my goldfish would not be appropriate for a betta, so I bought some "colorbright" by HBH. Will this be sufficient, or will I need do something else?

When I got home I put my remaining goldfish in a cup and put the two fish next too eachother. It was interesting to see their reactions, I thought I might have really bad, immediate issues with them together, but the betta is chilling out near the surface and the goldie is cruising along the bottom.

Question about my filter- I can't adjust it. It intakes air, runs it through a filter, and bubbles come out. Will this be too much water movement for him to handle?

I don't have cave (yet), but my plants are close together and initially he was hiding between them. Is this good enough for the time being? I don't want to get something that either fish could corner the other in.

Once my goldfish crosses the bridge would the betta be lonely or thankful he was by himself? What other (one) fish would be a good buddy?

I'm stumped on a name for my betta. I'm stuck between Spritly (my initial reaction to him at Petco) Tyler (just came to me, and is a touch more manly).
HorsesAndFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

Goldfish and Bettas just aren't compatible. They have different requirements. The goldfish probably won't last very long since they need cooler temps and need at least 20+ gallons. Plus, with those two fish in a 3.5 gallon is overstocking. I think the betta will probably get really territorial towards the goldfish, but who knows.

The betta will be very happy alone in the 3.5 gallon though. About the filter, some bettas like the faster flow/bubbles, and some don't. You'll figure out which one your betta falls under. If he doesn't like it, I would just replace it with something more tolerable for him.
I hope that helps!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. A 3.5 gallon sounds great for your betta. Most people feed their bettas a pellet food as their staple diet and supplement this with freeze dried or frozen brine shrimp, daphnia and bloodworms. These should be used as a once or twice a week treat. Goldfish and bettas do not mix because bettas are tropical and goldfish are coldwater fish. Plants will be fine for him to hide in. Someone else will have to tell you about how to adjust the flow of the filter. There is a baffle thing you can make. Tyler sounds like a good name. :) I hope I was able to answer some of your questions.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #4 
dr2b

I agree with what AngelicScars and DramaQueen told ya...they covered all bases :) Oh - and welcome to the forum!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #5 
HorsesAndFish

Thanks for the quick replies.

Is it evil that I'm not feeling very sympathetic to the goldfish?

I'm actually thinking that even if goldfish prefer cold water a heater might be good for him. I've been house sitting but am going home tomorrow (with fish) and my room where I keep my tank gets really, really cold.

Happy to hear that Tyler will be content alone.

The filter is a penn-plax small world filter. The only adjustment is putting a kink in the air cord .

How well do fish do in the dark (at night)? I'm about to go to sleep and the cat noticed something different about the tank. I didn't have time to sew/wire the pop out for the top back in, so fish are safe behind closed doors, and in the dark. There is a window so during the day they'll have light.
HorsesAndFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Fish need a day/night cycle like we do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I turn my lights off during the day and turn them on at night, but some people keep the lights on during the day and off at night. The light should be on no longer than 8 hours.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #8 
vaygirl

I wouldn't say evil but I would say that when you get a pet you should be willing to meet the requirements for their care. They really have no say so in the matter and are at your mercy so to speak. So I'd go with everyone's suggestions. The goldfish will need his own space without a heater. Bettas require 80 degrees or so and that's way too warm for a goldfish. The two are not compatible as tankmates and that's way too much fish for a 3.5.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #9 
kelly528

I might also add that goldies are the poop factories of the fish world... the ammonia a single goldfish can pump ouy could be enough to seriously harm both the betta and the goldfish.

Goldfish need cold water because

a) Cold water holds oxygen better
b) Goldfish need crazy amounts of oxygen.

If you cannot accomodate the goldie (who will need at least 20g if he's a fancy and upwards of 80 if he's a common) just drop a PM and I will refer you to a fish rescue network (such things do exist lol!) on a different forum.

Psst... If you pick up a gang valve (they're a lot simpler than they sound) and run the airline through it you will be able to adjust the airflow and therefore the filter speed.

Last edited by kelly528; 01-12-2010 at 04:43 PM.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #10 
Jupiter

I agree with what everyone else said. I've noticed something with goldfish and heaters. My dad used to keep a few in his tropical community, and most of them developed swim bladder issues. I'm not sure if it's because of the heater, diet, breed, or something else altogether, but it's better to be safe then sorry.

Your betta will be quite happy alone in that 3.5g heated tank. I have never heard about that food, so I can't give you any advice on that.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote