Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #1 
paws

Harold and Chuck *UPDATE*

If you didn't know my two Betta fish Chuck and Harold had SBD (swim bladder disorder). I had acquired them from my sister's science experiment, where they weren't fed in over 8 months. So they had SBD and I had left for 2 days for my horse show. I fasted Harold for around 5 days and I have been fasting Chuck and treating him with espom salts. I put Chuck in a 1/2 gallon to make dosing easier. Harold is in a 10 gallon. They are both heated and the 10 gallon is filtered. I do a 100% water change in the 1/2 gallon each day and 10% each day and 40% each week in the 10 gallon. Harold is all better even without treatment. :) But Chuck hasn't shown any improvement. I was putting 1/2 a tsp in the water but I upped it to 1 whole tsp. Is there anything I can do?
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If he is still symptomatic with buoyancy issues....increase the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal along with the 100% daily water changes...also if you have any tannins to add all the better...either IAL or dried oak leaf will work......and be sure and cover the top of the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ

Even with swim bladder problems-nutrition is really important...if you have any live foods I would start with them.....the combo of good nutrition, clean water, tannins and Epsom salt will help build a strong immune response and hopefully get him back to health provided that long term damage is not an issue or it is genetic related or rearing issues at the fish farm....

Good luck.....and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #3 
gbose

Good luck, paws!
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote