Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #1 
carguy123

20 gallon female sorority compatibility

im planning to do a 20 gallon female sorority. I plan to get about 6-8 females for this tank. Im probably going to get 2-3 ghost shrimps and 2-3 ottos or cories. so ill have about 10 creatures (maybe i might have sum guppies(only like 2-4 of them) that I used to help cycle my tank)

What other fishes or creaters could I put in there (Im not sure if I want do ADF) I wouldnt mind some animals that help the eco cycle ( But I think thats what the corries/ottos and shrimp are for) However, i want to add some nice looking (cheap) fish that are compatible with females bettas

so people who have betta sororities or have good knowledge about them I would like to know your 2cents thx
carguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #2 
DragonFish

You could definitely fit 2-3 shrimp, maybe even a couple more. However, Corys prefer shoals and like groups of 5 or more....you could probably get away with that many if you kept to 6 females though. Ottos you shouldn't add unless you have a big algae problem, they can be picky eaters and won't always accept prepared foods.

You want to stay away from guppies....they'll breed like mad if you get both genders, have a high bio-load(poop a lot), and its very likely your girls will nip them to death.

On another note, you don't need fish or other creatures to 'help cycle'. In fact, cycling with fish or other creatures can be rather cruel on them and even have deadly effects if not done properly.....and I've read shrimp are delicate, they should only be added after your tank is pretty well established....and I KNOW ADFs, Corys, and Ottos are all sensitive and should never be added to a new tank. Here is a topic that explains the cycling process pretty well: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/
Here is a thread that explains how to safely cycle with fish, if your up to the challenge: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ght=Cycle+Fish

If not, google 'Fishless Nitrogen cycle' and read up on as many links as you can.
(No matter want though, you'll want to pick up a freshwater liquid dropper test kit, the API brand is a really good one, before you begin anything)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #3 
carguy123

well should i used the old filter cartrige to start the cycle? I got the tank,other accessories and filter from craiglist so i do not know what fish were kept in it. SO should I just buy a new catrige and restart or what?

What other fish could add to this fish tank?

oh ya I forgot to tell you those guppies are also massively breed fish the just breed on their own so i would hurt if i got couple of fries/adult guppies

Last edited by carguy123; 02-06-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #4 
DragonFish

If the old filter cartridge is dried out, then all the good bacteria is dead, so getting a new one and starting the cycle over would be a good plan. However, it the cartridge remained damp and never dried out then it should still have at least some good bacteria to aid in the cycle.

Apart from the females, a few shrimp, and a nice school of corys, you probably don't want to add any other fish.

...Well, like I said before, Guppies breed quickly and will overrun your tank with babies in no time, they poop a LOT which will further limit your stocking capability, AND its very likely that your girls will just kill them anyway....I highly advise staying away from guppies.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #5 
carguy123

so theres no other fish that i can add to the mix except corys

plus I heard that corys wiskers or barbs are really delicate and can get damaged from rough gravel I have really small gravel and its kinda sharp

Last edited by carguy123; 02-07-2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: forgot to add a question
Old 02-07-2010, 01:57 AM   #6 
carguy123

petsco is havin a sale for these fish (5for$5 are any of them capatible with a female bettas

Blue Rainbow Platy, Large Zebra Danio, Long Fin Zebra Danio, 1.5" Chinese Algae Eater, Serpae Tetra, Red-Eyed Tetra and Scissortail Rasbora.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Yes, that is true about the corys. If your gravel is rough or sharp, you don't want to get them. Though, if you'd be willing to switch the rough gravel out with small, smoother gravel, or even sand, then you could go ahead and get them.

...All of those are a bit iffy. Definitely steer clear of the Platies, those are like big guppies, and the CAE, it will get HUGE and very aggressive. Danios are fast moving and can be fin nippers, as well as the tetras, and theres a chance your girls may pick on them as well.
If you decide not to get the corys, a school of Tetra or Rasbora you may be able to get away with(I'd actually recommend the Harlequin Rasbora instead though, just because I know they're pretty peaceful...)but keep in mind that there is the chance they may go after your girls, or they may go after them, so be prepared to take the tetras/rasboras back if problems arise.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #8 
carguy123

oh i have no problem taking animals back if they create problems. Maybe ill wait like next week to see what kind of fish they might have on sale hopefully some bettas

you said not to add ottos unless there is a algae problem. My fish tank is probably going to get alot of sunlight (in spring/summer) wouldnt that create a environment for algae

what if I add small glossy river rocks on top of my gravel (for the corys) however when im going to be siphoning the bottom of the tank for debre its going to mix the gravel with the rocks so it might have no use. Plus i dont want to waste like 10 dollars for sum gravel

Last edited by carguy123; 02-07-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #9 
DragonFish

You should always keep your tank out of direct sunlight for exactly that reason, it will cause a huge algae bloom that you won't be able to control with any sort of algae eater. Find a place in your house to set it up where it will be out of direct sunlight, or get VERY little(less then an hour).

Corys like to dig and root around in the substrate, so you'll need to switch to softer stuff if you really want them. Its not that big of a hassle really if you just get small, round, smooth gravel... and better do it now before you start cycling. But, thats only if your keen on getting corys....
Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #10 
carguy123

well i dont really feel like changing to sand I just want to work with what i have or I dont know maybee I will and return the river rocks if can I.

However if I dont change to sand should i get ottos like 2-4 of them. What do they eat.