Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #1 
SeaCity

Consider a Platy

I have a beautiful male DT and he has two Platies as tank mates. They get along quite well.
They never hold still, so it's hard to get a good pic.
One is a Mickey Mouse Platy, Brutus and the other is a Sunfire Wag Platy, Suvi.
Attached Images

SeaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes, but they also poop a TON! So just account for that lol and Platies like to be in groups of three or more as most livebearers do. I assume you know you have a male and a female? Suvi is super cute, how'd she get the chunk taken out of her tail? Looks like it is healing which is good.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #3 
PetMania

Yeah, I was only able to keep 3 platys in a 10G due to their bioload.
PetMania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #4 
SeaCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yes, but they also poop a TON! So just account for that lol and Platies like to be in groups of three or more as most livebearers do. I assume you know you have a male and a female? Suvi is super cute, how'd she get the chunk taken out of her tail? Looks like it is healing which is good.
I didn't know Suvi was a female. What is the indicator?
It's funny about the tail. I was so busy trying to take the picture that I didn't notice it. Bummer. I guess Brutus is aptly named.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #5 
PetMania

Hmm, I thought I saw a gonopodium on both
Old 02-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Here we are. And Suvi, in the first and second pictures you can clearly see her anal fin, it's big and black, can't really miss it. It is not pointed as a gonopodium is, also just her size in general. I expect some babies in around 3 weeks or so. Would make a nice snack for your Betta.

Name:  Platy_sexing.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  9.7 KB

How long have you had these two in with your Betta? Was he in there before you introduced them or where they first?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #7 
PetMania

oops! I was looking at it wrong. I thought she had a gonopodiom in FRONT of the anal fin...uh...oops. Lol.
I have only had 8 males and 1 female platy in my fish hobby. Hopefully I get more females than males in the litter.

Note: My platy just gave birth a week ago, and she is already showing signs of being pregnant again, so they can store sperm for a LONG time.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #8 
SeaCity

Fishy sex 101

Quote:
Here we are. And Suvi, in the first and second pictures you can clearly see her anal fin, it's big and black, can't really miss it. It is not pointed as a gonopodium is, also just her size in general. I expect some babies in around 3 weeks or so. Would make a nice snack for your Betta.

Attachment 297649

How long have you had these two in with your Betta? Was he in there before you introduced them or where they first?
I feel so ignorant... I am new to this. Puddle, the betta was the original inhabitant of the tank. Then Brutus and another Mickey Mouse, who died after a few days because he didn't get his share of the food. A few days later I added Suvi. Should I move her to a separate tank? Or maybe put her in with my juvenile female betta?
Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #9 
SeaCity

Quote:
Lilnaugrim - Brutus has been with Puddle for about 3 weeks and Suvi has been there for about 2.
BTW - Suvi is derived from Vesuvius - the famous volcano that destroyed Pompeii. Her bright yellow and orange look kind of like lava and the black reminds me of ash. She has sprinkles of black on her head too, which look like flakes of ash.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #10 
Kiara1125

The mickey mouse is a male and the wag is a female. Since when are platies bioloads large? I've never had a problem. In my early stages of fish keeping, I had 16 adult platies and numerous fry into a 10g. That was along with a male betta. I never had any problems with the water parameters. The only reason why I would see it as a problem now because it looks like the OP has all fake plants.

Anyway, as long as the betta doesn't show aggression, the platies should be fine in there. Also, as long as the male isn't a breeding machine (like some livebearers that you see in stores that NEVER stop chasing females) then he should be fine with the female. I currently have a single male and female in my 10g. They swim with each other a lot, but it's not a breeding attempt. It's more like they formed a pair. So, I would just make sure that your female isn't too stressed out if the male is trying to breed with her. I once had a platy pair (blue hifin female and red tiger male) who bonded when I bought them together. They only bred and produced fry once, but then they never bred after that. The male would stay by her side, but not breed. If he went off somewhere else then the female would follow. After moving them from my 20gL to my 55g, the red tiger got sick after a few months and died. The blue hifin never got sick, but she just stopped eating and looked like she lost the will to live without her partner. Fish are unique and I've noticed that many livebearers can actually form pairs/bonds whether they're alone or in group situations.

Good luck with your platies and betta! and sorry for trailing off. xD
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote