Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #1 
kuklachica

pics of a divided 20g tall?

Sorry for all of the posts lately... I am just trying to figure out what to get (and now how to divide it).

The 20 gal I purchased is 20 gal tall. I know I can put 5 fish in it (4 gal each), but how does it look? I made the dividers (but will actually set up the tank later this week) and it seems like they will have a lot of vertical space but very little horizontal space.

Would this be a problem for them?

Does anyone have any pics of theirs (or someone else's)? This tank will be in my living room, so I don't want it to look too funny.

Thank you for the help!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #2 
MollyJean

Visually.. it might look a little crowded. And the vertical space isn't ideal, they don't swim up and down, after all. You might want to back down to 4 fish. I could picture a 20 gal with 4 fish looking really nice with the right plants and decorations.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #3 
sunset

I think 4 would look more even and less crowded. Just my opinion though.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

I have pictures :) hehe Two weeks ago we re-did my 29 gallon tank for my 5 boys. So 4.8 gallons each :) Very little horizontal space (6 inches to be exact) but 18 inches high. I didn't like the looks of it at the beginning, but now I love it far more than my 10 or 5 gallon divided tanks. Your tank would be the shorter in length wise by 6 inches, and just 2 inches shorter (height). Here are pics of my tank :)

puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #5 
kuklachica

darn... yeah that's what i was thinking too. and i was hoping to put 5 in! maybe i should have waited to find a 20 long. oh well

ooh i posted that before i saw your pics. hmm i'll have to think about it...

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-11-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

the lack of horizontal space is worrisome.. plus I just don't think a tank divided that many times looks good (SORRY puppyrjjkm!!!) it looks very crowded to me.

I wouldn't put bettas in anything over 10 galls (unless its a long aq) they are better suited to shallow tanks than really deep ones.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #7 
kuklachica

do you think it's ok to put four in the 20 g??
Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

they would probably do fine.. its just my opinion that I wouldn't divide it that way.. and it all depends on how long the tank is.. personally I would only divide it as long as everyone had at least 8 inches of horizontal space.. and thats my minimum. In my divided 10 the fish have about 10 inches horizontally.

Its all how you like it and what your preferences are. I'm not saying your fish will suffer at all they'll be perfectly fine however you divide it. I've never seen anything that says its bad to divide a tank 5 ways.. its just about preference. You will probably see your fish swimming more "back to front" than "side to side" is all.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #9 
puppyrjjkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
the lack of horizontal space is worrisome.. plus I just don't think a tank divided that many times looks good (SORRY puppyrjjkm!!!) it looks very crowded to me.

I wouldn't put bettas in anything over 10 galls (unless its a long aq) they are better suited to shallow tanks than really deep ones.
No worries, personal preference I guess :) It took me a little while to warm up to it. I think the same with the boys too, but now they all have bubble nests and love to come say hi every time I walk by
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

It really is about personal preference. If I had the space (not to mention the money) all my boys would be in 10 gal longs by themselves. I'd have non-fish tank mates (primarily shrimp and snails and possibly ADF) and live plants and have the male as the "center piece". I'd probably have either a dirt or sand substrate. Thats honestly my DREAM tank.. nothing huge or extravagant.. just low light easy cultivated plants, a few critters, and a nice clean looking substrate. Low cost filtration, light, and heating.

Also knowing me.. if I divided a tank more than once I would always be saying to myself well dividing it one more time couldn't hurt... I'd end up with hundreds of bettas LOL