Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #1 
Jules4

Exclamation Goldfish help, need answers ASAP

Okay, my friend won two goldfish (I don't know where, or how) but two small baby goldfish (they're adorable.) And I have this around 50 - 55 gallon tank, it's a really old tank with a powerful filter, a heater, and all that type of stuff. The filter has been running for a long time, but MANY fish have died in this tank, I haven't gotten a chance to clean it because it's so big, and there is so much gravel (I'm thinking I'm going to throw out the gravel because when you move the gravel, this black stuff kind of looks like oil in water spreads around the water making it brown and disgusting.)

When he gave them to me he said he had to go, because he had a flight to catch to Australia as he's visiting for a month.

Yesterday I was trying to float my goldfish in my tank, I floated them in for 10 minutes, after I added the tank water to their bag so they don't go into a shock, 2 minutes I come back and I see them swimming around in the tanks and the bag opened somehow!

Now they are hiding in the corner of the tank, I just fed them, but I think they are dying, I don't want my goldfish dying! I defiantly know it's the tank that's killing them because it kills all my fish, there is something wrong going on with that tank, it's obviously dirty because of the gravel.

What do I do? I have an extra 20 gallon tank I can put them in, which belonged to my turtle, but I don't mind rinsing it off or rinsing it off with vinegar and water, but the thing is I don't have an air pump or an extra filter for a 20 gallon? The only filter I have is for that 55 gallon which is way to powerful for a 20 gallon.

I also have an extra 3 gallon tank, help what do I do?
Jules4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:06 AM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

put them in the 20 gallon.do 50% water changes every 3 days or so.feed lightly.completely clean out the big tank using vinegar.take out the gravel and toss it.bleach clean the filter (10-1 water to bleach ratio),rinse well and get new media /filter cartridges for it.either do bare bottom or 1" sand substrate,then do fish-in cycle. get some seachem prime water conditioner and an api liquid test kit.while this is going on read nitrogen cycle sticky. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

Last edited by sandybottom; 02-16-2014 at 12:15 AM.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #3 
0ut0fsight4443

Calm down, are they floating? No, then they are just little guys in a big tank. What are the levels in your water? Nitrate, Nitrite, and PH? If nothing is too out of whack, leave them alone. They are just scared, that's all.

Is anything in there going to eat them?

If not give it a day or two and they will be happy again. Oh ya, and goldfish are sometimes considered messy fish. I work 40 hours a week and find myself at least changing a bucket or three of water every two weeks to a month with a good filter, in my 55 gallon. But have a 12 inch Pleco to clean up after.
0ut0fsight4443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #4 
0ut0fsight4443

And in this weather I would advise against using bleach. If it is the tank, then clean it, with water and elbow grease. They can live without rocks for a little while, but if you want to try and save the rocks then boil them ten to twenty minutes (Like beans). That will help get any foreign bodies off of them. (Cool them back down to fish safe temps. before re-adding to the tank.) do a 50 to 75 water change. Leave the old filter in and you should be good.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #5 
beautiful Betta

standard goldfish are one of the most hardy fish. I think you may be over reacting a bit, there is probably another reason the fish died and not the actual tank. with all the other fish it could have been a number of things. Did you do regular water changes, syphoning the gravel as well? did you overstock to quickly causing ammonia issues, and leading to parasite outbreaks? If you changed water did you add a water conditioner de-chlorinator? water straight from the tank will kill some fish and knock the filters good bacteria back.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #6 
beautiful Betta

If you could fill in this information for when your old tank was in use, it will give us a idea of what the issues could have been and your fish were dying I doubt it would have been the tank.
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #7 
sandybottom
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ut0fsight4443 View Post
Calm down, are they floating? No, then they are just little guys in a big tank. What are the levels in your water? Nitrate, Nitrite, and PH? If nothing is too out of whack, leave them alone. They are just scared, that's all.

Is anything in there going to eat them?

If not give it a day or two and they will be happy again. Oh ya, and goldfish are sometimes considered messy fish. I work 40 hours a week and find myself at least changing a bucket or three of water every two weeks to a month with a good filter, in my 55 gallon. But have a 12 inch Pleco to clean up after.
there is something in this tank that the op is nervous about.i recommend a clean slate,especially with the "oily" situation at hand.if the op just gives them a day or 2 in this tank they could very well be dead.goldfish are messy fish.i do not agree with your water changing schedule.goldies do best with large weekly water changes.having a large filter does not mean less water changes.

Last edited by sandybottom; 02-16-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #8 
sandybottom
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ut0fsight4443 View Post
And in this weather I would advise against using bleach. If it is the tank, then clean it, with water and elbow grease. They can live without rocks for a little while, but if you want to try and save the rocks then boil them ten to twenty minutes (Like beans). That will help get any foreign bodies off of them. (Cool them back down to fish safe temps. before re-adding to the tank.) do a 50 to 75 water change. Leave the old filter in and you should be good.
what does the weather have to do with a diluted bleach sterilization?if there is an oily residue on the tank how will elbow grease and water clean it off?vinegar rinses clean and will not harm anything except the residue.goldfish can live without rocks/gravel just fine.boling them will not take all of the residue off either.better safe than sorry ,as the op stated that it would not be a problem to discard them.and how is a 50-75%water change going to help if the tank is contaminated?with out being there and seeing this for ourselves,how are you going to diagnose anything?the op does not know what is going on in the tank,and has reported contamination and deaths.test kits will not tell us much except normal parameter variations.if there was an oily slick in my tank and my fish were dying,i would sterilize the tank and start over.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 AM   #9 
0ut0fsight4443

No, but if the reason for lack of water changes is being a little busy, I know how they feel. So yes 10% weekly suggested, but if you are physically unable then 20-25% bi-weekly or 50% at three or a month. Remember the more water you change at once the more everything you replace. Good and bad. I still disagree with using harsh chemicals like bleach. When rinsing and boiling the rocks works just fine. It take a lot, a lot, of rinsing to rinse out the chemical, and they said that the reason for the lack of water change was lack of time and the size. Just syphon out the rocks from the tank and change 50% water, boil rocks clean the sides with a clean non chemical treated clothe or paper towel, and put new Prime (maybe even a double dose to help heavy metals, Nitrites and ammonia levels) with every water change.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:24 AM   #10 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
there is something in this tank that the op is nervous about.i recommend a clean slate,especially with the "oily" situation at hand.if the op just gives them a day or 2 in this tank they could very well be dead.goldfish are messy fish.i do not agree with your water changing schedule.goldies do best with large weekly water changes.having a large filter does not mean less water changes.
I don't know if you are referring to me or the other poster, either way I did not actually mention any specific water changes, but I am simply trying to get to the bottom of why the previous fish were dying, and if we can get clear answers on what tank maintenance was done then we might be able to help so the poster can use the 50 gallon tank. If it isn't the tank then changing tanks isn't necessarily going to save the fish if nothing in the fishes care changes, if that is the reason for the deaths of the other fish. So I am trying to get to the bottom of the problem, if the gravel was never cleaned regularly then the water will be filthy when you stir it up, and likely to leave a residue on the water surface. We can help if tank maintenance is the issue and that will be better for the fish in the long run.

Tags
air pump, filter, goldfish, help!, questions