Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2014, 01:29 AM   #11 
sandybottom
Reference Team

for goldies it is usually around 50-100% water changes weekly.since they are so small they could get away with 30% weekly.most goldfish keepers that have delt with commons or comets especially,would not use gravel in the tank. this will make maintenance easier and allow the filter to pick up the detritus easier,instead of it getting caught down in the gravel and messing up the parameters.also getting rid of any possible choking hazards they bring.using bleach is safe as long as it is used on plastics and glass and rinsed thoroughly.people use it to sterilize equipment and aquarium plants all of the time.it is also sometimes used to "recharge" certain types of filter media.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:39 AM   #12 
sandybottom
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
I don't know if you are referring to me or the other poster, either way I did not actually mention any specific water changes, but I am simply trying to get to the bottom of why the previous fish were dying, and if we can get clear answers on what tank maintenance was done then we might be able to help so the poster can use the 50 gallon tank. If it isn't the tank then changing tanks isn't necessarily going to save the fish if nothing in the fishes care changes, if that is the reason for the deaths of the other fish. So I am trying to get to the bottom of the problem, if the gravel was never cleaned regularly then the water will be filthy when you stir it up, and likely to leave a residue on the water surface. We can help if tank maintenance is the issue and that will be better for the fish in the long run.

i was referring to the other poster-that is why i quoted them.if the fish died from ammonia or nitrite poisoning,the cycle has crashed,so why not start over in the 50 gallon.same thing if it was parasites. putting the fish in the 20 gallon was to get them out of the 50 until it was properly cleaned.i am trying to make things easier for the poster and take some of the guess work out of it.start with a clean slate,get any contaminants out of the tank,refresh them on cycling and take some of the obstacles like the gravel out of the equation.make the tank easier to take care of in general.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:52 AM   #13 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
for goldies it is usually around 50-100% water changes weekly.since they are so small they could get away with 30% weekly.most goldfish keepers that have delt with commons or comets especially,would not use gravel in the tank. this will make maintenance easier and allow the filter to pick up the detritus easier,instead of it getting caught down in the gravel and messing up the parameters.also getting rid of any possible choking hazards they bring.using bleach is safe as long as it is used on plastics and glass and rinsed thoroughly.people use it to sterilize equipment and aquarium plants all of the time.it is also sometimes used to "recharge" certain types of filter media.
I had goldfish when I was a kid and I cringe now when I think back to their care, at first it was a plastic bowl gravel and decoration, and tap water, nothing else. Then when I got a little older teenage, it was a aquarium and I did buy a internal filter but that was so I didn't need to clean it out every week, and still just used tap water and cleaned my filter sponges under the tap, when I thought it needed cleaning. I didn't have a clue back then and we didn't have internet and forums to go on. It was only until I was older and wanted to go into tropical that things like ammonia and water quality that I started to understand things a bit better. Even with it all my goldfish survived a good 10 years and eventually I gave them to my in-laws to go in their garden fish pond. I think a heron bird had them then some years later.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #14 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
i was referring to the other poster-that is why i quoted them.if the fish died from ammonia or nitrite poisoning,the cycle has crashed,so why not start over in the 50 gallon.same thing if it was parasites. putting the fish in the 20 gallon was to get them out of the 50 until it was properly cleaned.i am trying to make things easier for the poster and take some of the guess work out of it.start with a clean slate,get any contaminants out of the tank,refresh them on cycling and take some of the obstacles like the gravel out of the equation.make the tank easier to take care of in general.
Yea sorry for some reason I thought you were referring to me, but it will be a shame if the 50 gallon tank is never used again and it may be nothing to do with the tank. I hope we can help for fishes sake.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #15 
sandybottom
Reference Team

it should be fine if it is cleaned correctly.vinegar and bleach should do the job.with everything sterilized and new media for the filter along with new (or no)substrate,it should be like setting up a new tank.what i want to know is the parameters of the ops tap water,and if there are other fish involved.it did not seem as though any other fish were in the tank,but i do not want to assume about that.as is the tank with 2 singletails would be fully stocked.i know they are small now,but they can easily put on 6+ inches in a year,and in a 50 gallon imo, they should be the only fish. i know the water changing schedule i suggested seems like a lot.it is actually less than what a serious goldfish keeper/breeder would suggest.this will keep disease and parasites at bay and replenish minerals in the tank..
Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #16 
0ut0fsight4443

So after all of our banter, how are your goldfish doing? Its been a couple of days.
0ut0fsight4443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #17 
sandybottom
Reference Team

looked on their page and they never checked back. never saw any of our posts.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #18 
0ut0fsight4443

Well since I see that you have checked back, I just don't like bleach. I meant with it being winter and having a 55 gallon that it would not be easily sprayed out with a hose in the yard, and they said that the size was the issue on why they were not cleaning the tank. I have known four or five different people in my past fish ventures that have lost all of there fish from not cleaning the chlorine out of their tanks properly. And again, not substituting extra de-chlorinizer for the upped levels of chlorine. One friend even told me that they restocked the tank twice before giving up and didn't know why they kept dyeing. That the only thing they did differently was using chlorine to clean the tank. After explaining the chemical process to them they were able to house fish again, without frying them in chemicals. And I was not about to tell a new fish keeper to use bleach to clean their tank.

Well I hope that the little goldfish were just scared in a new big home.

And again Sandy, sorry for not clarifying that sooner with you, just got busy.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #19 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i said to use vinegar on the tank,and a diluted bleach on the filter. these are totally normal and widely used practices.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #20 
0ut0fsight4443

I know, just phobias I have using chemicals in the mix of my fish. I just use Hydrogen Peroxide over bleach, and Vinegar, baking soda to scrub, or neutralize, and have been known to even rubbing a sliced lemon on the side of the tank to let the acid clean it, then rinse. Just a naturalist. I will not even use towels that have been washed with detergents on my fish tanks. I wash them twice once to get them clean and again to get the detergents out. And have specific towels for that task.

But that is all I meant with the weather portion of that post.

Tags
air pump, filter, goldfish, help!, questions