Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #1 
Dingles

Unhappy Bad looking fins on new betta. Quarantine?

Hi, I just bought two female bettas yesterday, along with a 1.77 gallon tank.
The selection for females was pretty bland, so I picked a black with red tint and black with blue tint, and named them Peeps and Beeps respectively.

What I didn't seem to notice at the pet store was that Peeps fins look all ripped. I was concerned at first this might be sickness, but I also noticed Beeps constantly picking on her. So I thought maybe Peeps is merely a bully victim. Other than that though, they both act rather normal at the moment.

The tank came with a small fake plant and gravel, which is all that's in the tank right now, since I didn't bring enough money with me last night to get supplies. (I miscalculated since I had been looking at tanks in the US while I was visiting there, and forgot how much more ridiculously expensive everything is here in Canada : (. ) So I'll be going back out tonight to get their supplies and such.

So I was wondering...
Once I get them both their little hiding dens, will Beeps stop picking on Peeps as much?
Would maybe a third tank friend help as well?
Or is Peeps probably sick and needs to be placed in quarantine?
Dingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Do you have the tank divided? If not, I would take out a female right away. If you plan on keeping them both in there you need to get at least a 10G tank and 2 or 3 more females with LOTS of hiding places. They will attack each other in that small of a tank. It's recommended that you should have at least 4 females in a sorority because if you have 3, 2 of them could gang up on the other one. Do you have a big bowl or vase? I'd put a female in that until you can get a bigger tank and divide it, or get a 10G. For the ripped fins, you can give her salt baths that will help heal them.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)...Oh boy....seems like your in quite a situation there :/

+1 To BFCs advice. And to add on(and perhaps repeat some stuff...)

First off, your going to need to separate those two ASAP. Not only is that tank far too small for anything other then a single betta(male or female, and even then I personally would advise an upgrade to 2.5 gallons or larger for many reasons)but female bettas can NOT be kept in pairs. With only two females together(ESPECIALLY in such a small space)one WILL kill the other. With three females, two will gang up on the weakest, kill her, then the stronger of the two will eventually end up killing the other. If you REALLY want to keep females together, your going to have to look at getting a 10+ gallon tank, at LEAST two more girls(5-6 is better, however, so aggression can to be spread out), and a LOT of plants(live or silk)along with several caves for hiding. Here is a good article on betta sororities: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402

If you don't want to upgrade to a ten gallon, get more girls, and all that then your going to have to separate them ASAP. What you can do right now is put one in the cup she came in and float her in the water until you go out and get another tank for her. I suggest picking up a pair of 2.5 gallon tanks(Medium Critter keepers are always nice if your short on money)with heaters, as bettas are tropical fish that require temps of 78-82 degrees F. Another option is a 5 gallon, which you can divide for the two of them. Just be sure the divider is secure so they can't get to one another!
Hope this helps some :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #4 
Zenandra
Banned

I agree with the above advice! Females can be kept together but only in groups of at least 5. And in nothing smaller then a 10 gallon tank.
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #5 
Dingles

Ugh, well this is irritating...
The lady at the store said they were having a 'two for one' sale, and asked if I wanted two, so I asked "well, will they get a long then? Like, they won't have any issues with each other?" To which she said "Nope they get a long".
So I'm pretty pissed considering I only wanted one in the first place, and only got two cause I thought it would be like a free friend for her.
And I would have gotten a bigger tank, but again, they're way more expensive here. I saw a $99 tank in the states that here is $179, which right now is way too much; but in time, a bigger one will be in order.
Luckily though I think I know where I can get a cheap 1.5 gallon fish bowl.
That should be good enough for now.. Until then, it's the jar for Beeps.

Thank you for all the help.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #6 
Dingles

Well Beeps is really pissed off at me now..

She even gave me the look of death..

Peeps is happy though.. : )
Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Yes, unfortunately 99% of the time you can't trust a thing pet store employees say....they're in it to make cash, not for the wellbeing of the fish. Thats why this hobby can be just as frustrating as it is enjoyable at times.....

On another note, you have such cute little girls :) I'm especially loving the color on Beeps. Yes, until you can get proper, heated homes of your gals the 1.5 gallons should be just fine as temp housing ;) Just be sure to keep them in a warm room(preferably one that says somewhere in the upper 70s)and keep up with the water changes(ever other day should be good). Thats especially importing for the one with the ripped fins, you'll need to keep her water as clean as possible to promote regrowth and prevent infection. Also, if you can, pick up some aquarium salt(it shouldn't be too expensive). That should also help with fin regrowth and preventing infections.

and something else...Have you looked into 'Kritter Keepers'? They're fairly inexpensive($10 roughly down here in the states). Like I mentioned in my other post, the medium size is about 2.5 gallons, they can be safely heated, have a nice little lid with an opening for feeding, are light and easy to carry for water changes, and are very space efficient :) Poke around and see if you have them in your area, I can't imagine the price would be too horribly expensive if their own $10 down here ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

They're both adorable! You shouldn't believe anything that the employees tell you because they are usually wrong. It's sad because they should be well educated, but that isn't the case. That's why researching things on your own is the way to go. Don't worry about it, everyone makes mistakes and you had no idea. But now you do so you can make your girls happy. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #9 
Dingles

Luckily I have found a solution!
Walmart had a 5 gallon tank for 34 dollars, and I also got a water heater all for Peeps. I decided to give Beeps to my sister, since I not only bonded a lot with Peeps, but she also has special needs that I can now provide best.
My sisters room is plenty warm, so I think Beeps will be happy with her, she's good at keeping needs met for critters.
I intended to get salts last night but completely forgot. So I'll see if my mom will brave taking me again, considering I had her out for about 3 hours last night going to 3 different locations trying to get these fish squared away.

Also, Peeps doesn't like flakes that much, but the flakes have little freeze dried worms or brine shrimp that she LOVES. Can I just buy those and use them as a staple? Or does she need the flakes.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would get her a good pellet food like Hikari betta bio gold or Wardleys pellets.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bully, ripped fins, two fish