Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #51 
lessandler

Just another quick thing if you haven't already used the ph testers... I find (and I think this is universally true) that if you got the paper dip test strips are so far off from actual readings (taken with liquid API master's kit) so as to render them useless. In my case I found the ph to be off nearly an entire point.

But I suppose if you use the same method for both waters it may work? Did not test this theory though...

Well you are better educated than I about proper acclimation (didn't see the link until after:() and shipping care so I think Joey is in good hands. Do wait a few days before posting happy glowing reviews to the seller and transhipper though. It often takes 2-3 days for the effect of ammonia burn to be apparent.

Oh and RO, since that acronym wasn't clarified is reverse osmosis water. It's pretty cheap at any drug store. I wouldn't use it as your sole source of water though because it has no mineral content and it detrimental in the long run. If you don't use oak leaves, or a blackwater extract of some sort, I would recommend some aquarium salt, but it is not totally necessary. Just some nice clean ph neutral warm water will do wonders.

And post some pics after a day or so when you can put the light on :)
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #52 
mjoy79

Well he made the trip. Its good to have him home. I can tell the stress really got to him though. He's taken a bite out of some of his fins :(. He's real mad right now - he wants to get in his tank! But I have to make sure he doesn't go into shock. I'm not doing very well (IMO) because I forgot to test his water before I added some of mine to his bag. I only tested my water. so its pointless now. But I think I'll add to his bag every 15 minutes for about an hour and then let him free. I do hope his fins grow back!
I tried to find some of those leaves at the pet store and couldn't find them. I wish the breeder had put some in with the fish - I read its an anti-stress for the fish
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #53 
lessandler

Glad to hear of his safe arrival!!

If you have any questions about his quarantine and care after shipment I think maybe you should start a new thread and perhaps some betta experts can jump in.

Look forward to his speedy recovery :)
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #54 
betta lover1507

wow where do you by warmers???
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #55 
Mohan85

really awesome post, thank you for posting it! :)
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #56 
jman828

Good guide and easy to follow. Perfect for people who are selling their spawn for info. Good job :)
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #57 
MrVampire181

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=44187

Just thought I'd add a bit more info :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #58 
EvilVOG

Question: When to use heat pads and when not to? like what outside temp?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #59 
MrVampire181

I use heat packs from October to mid April. Heat packs can kill though so use plenty of "stuff" between it and the bags. I use two pieces of paper over the heat pack, a plastic liner, and shredded paper in the liner, then I add the bags.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #60 
EvilVOG

Thanks, i ran into the overheat problem, i was shipping to Alaska and it was mid 40's-50's when i shipped out, having never sent to alaska i went cautious and used the longer heat pad, and the temp jumped to 80's and 90's midway through transit.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote