Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #1 
Luimeril

Unhappy Cup has gotten worse! D:

my darling Cup, who recently had some nasty bloat, is alot worse now. D:

after his tummy went down, it seemed like he had trouble swimming to the surface. well, the day i was going to change his water and only fill his tank up halfway, i got a nasty cut on my finger from a glass fish bowl(i bumped it against my mom's gallon bowl, and my half-gallon bowl shattered, and i cut my finger when i tried to pick up a chunk), so changing anyones' water went out the window for a few days.

well, Cup's just gotten worse and worse. he used to swim up to his plant and rest there, since it was easier to swim up a little for air, than from the bottom of the tank, but today, it seemed like he didn't even care to swim up to his plant. i fed him, and he ignored the pellets totally.

well, i went against what my OCD-hypercondriact mind screamed at me, grabbed King Steve's walmart betta cup, and scooped him and enough water to fill the cup up about 1/3 of the way. he seems at ease now, and gobbled up all but two of the pellets i fed him(it totaled about 7 NLS Grow pellets and one Attison's pellet). what worries me, is he still sinks like a rock, and seems to just plop down on the bottom of the cup, then tilt over, like he's about to lay on his side. last time a betta of mine acted this way, he died soon after. D: Cup's been through so much, i don't want him to die yet. ;A; he's not quite an old man just yet(i'd say about 2-3. i've had him a year, who knows how long he's been at the pet store, and who knows how old he was when they got him)...

could this be the end of Cup's story? or, is there a way to ensure more chapters? i honestly don't know what's wrong with him. he's looking his normal size... is it possible that the bloat damaged his swim bladder? D:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

How old is cup?
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #3 
Luimeril

i've had him just over a year. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #4 
Sakura8

It is possible that extended bloat damaged his swim bladder permanently. :( If that's the case, not much you can do but make him comfortable. It seems like he really liked the small container he was in, probably because he felt comfortable enough to reach the surface. Maybe you can get him a very small kritter keeper at Wal-Mart, less than a gallon size, and keep him in that with a lower water level. You'll have to change the water probably twice a day at least, though. I'm really sorry Cup is doing so poorly, I was rooting for him to get better.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 
BettaFishRule

I dont think he will make it im sorry to say but he will be swimming with the angle fish
BettaFishRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

I'm sorry Cup is having trouble again... I have to agree that his ?multiple? bloat incidences have damaged his swim bladder. You can keep him in Epsom Salt long term to see if that makes him more comfortable. Otherwise, keeping him in a shallower container might help him reach the surface for air & food. Good luck with him and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote