Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #1 
Valentino14

Snail!! Needing advice

So, Valentino is in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter, no heater. Could I get him a pet snail, or would the snail create too much waste??
What kind of snail would you lovely people recommend? I would definitely want a smaller one. I don't want to get a bigger tank right now... apartments don't have that much space!!
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #2 
Betta Nut

A nerite snail would be perfect for you.. They are good little cleaners, cant suprise you with babies, and smallish bio load (for a snail anyway). They are also fairly safe from agressive bettas, as they are pretty much just shell for being exposed. The only thing to worry about is having enough for them to eat. I let a little sunlight through my window for an hour or two ensure I get algae growth. I got algae tabs, but they don't seem to care for them.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #3 
Valentino14

Hmm... it would be a little hard to get sunlight near the tank, but I will have some java moss (one of the marimo moss balls) in about a week. Will they try to eat it?? There really isn't any algae in there now... will they go for the tabs if there isnt anything else??
Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #4 
JadeSparrow

My nerite eats on the algae tabs and has left all of my plants alone. Whether or not they eat the tabs is a toss up some will some won't but most of them will go for blanched zucchini. Also a suggestion that has started popping up a lot is to put a few aquarium safe rocks in a thing of treated water in a window sill to grow algae and then just rotate them in and out of the tank so the snail has something to eat. What temp does your tank stay at? Unless you can keep a constant temp of somewhere in the mid upper 70's and at a steady temp, not going up and down by more than maybe a degree or two, I would add a small heater to help make your betta a very happy camper.
JadeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #5 
Valentino14

80 degrees or so at the end of the day, when I turn his light off, and 76 in the early morning... right before I turn it on. I could get a heater- i've been considering it alot. But is it necessary??
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #6 
JadeSparrow

At those temps I'm going to say no, granted this is my opinion and others may disagree with it, but with it being a gradual increase and decrease I think it makes it closer to what would happen in nature. I know my tanks heat up a bit from their lights even though I do keep a heater in them to help keep the temp close to the same at night but my house does get kinda cold at night so for me it is necessary. If you see where the fluctuations get greater than that I would say yes to a heater but right now no.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #7 
Valentino14

Thanks! So, no to a heater but I could possibly have a snail??
Old 02-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #8 
JadeSparrow

as long as you keep up with the water changes yes
Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #9 
Valentino14

I change the water 100% every Wednesday and Sunday
Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #10 
2muttz

I think a little nerite would be a good companion in your tank.

I have 5 - spread out over 3 tanks - and only one of them will actually feed on algae wafers. But everyone seems to find enough to eat. I leave the lights on longer to encourage algae growth, and"grow" the algae rocks JadeSparrow mentioned.

They also feed on the biofilm as well as algae. So if you are wiping down the tank walls at all, stop doing that in advance. Another thing to remember is that the more objects in your tank to grow biofilm on ~ like decorations, wood, fake wood, etc., the more will be available for them to eat. Just don't scrub any of those when you do water changes. Don't worry about algae on them - these guys will take care of algae for you!

Good luck ~ snails are such fun! And nerites come in such an amazing variety of colors and patterns....
2muttz is offline   Reply With Quote