Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #11 
cowgirlsue1

There are several sites on ebay that sell Indian Almond leaves. And they are quite large. I use mine 1/3 at a time.
cowgirlsue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #12 
Exquisite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlsue1 View Post
There are several sites on ebay that sell Indian Almond leaves. And they are quite large. I use mine 1/3 at a time.
Thanks for the heads up. I usually avoid ebay whenever possible, so no wonder why I couldn't find much. I will check it out if roobios isn't a viable option.
Exquisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #13 
cowgirlsue1

Health food store will sell unaltered roobios tea. On ebay, most IAL come from the far east. I like Amy's Ketapang Inc. But it does take a while to ship. Here's a guy in New York that gets them out as well as plants. And if you buy more than 1 thing, he adjusts the shipping. I got a bunch of plants from him too, in the middle of one of their miseralble snowstorms. Seller information
xuguxugu (1021 )
98.9% Positive feedback
cowgirlsue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #14 
Exquisite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlsue1 View Post
Health food store will sell unaltered roobios tea. On ebay, most IAL come from the far east. I like Amy's Ketapang Inc. But it does take a while to ship. Here's a guy in New York that gets them out as well as plants. And if you buy more than 1 thing, he adjusts the shipping. I got a bunch of plants from him too, in the middle of one of their miseralble snowstorms. Seller information
xuguxugu (1021 )
98.9% Positive feedback
By Healthfood store, you mean like walmart, right?

J/k. I went to one in my extended area but unfortunately they were out. So, I may call around. Thanks for the info.
Exquisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 AM   #15 
NorthernLights

You may want to get some kanaplex. You will most likely need to order it online, and it is better to to have it on hand because when you really need it, you may not have time to wait for it to arrive. It's one of the few things that has a real chance of saving a fish with dropsy.
NorthernLights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #16 
missavgp

+1 on Amy's Ketapang Inc for IAL. She sells on ebay and on Aquabid. I got some from her on Aquabid and they were at my door (Ottawa, ON, Canada) in under 2 weeks.
missavgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:54 AM   #17 
kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exquisite View Post
I am trying to streamline the products I use for the care and treatment of my Betta boys, mystery snails, and marimo algae balls.

I am going to list some products that I have and some products that I am considering buying. I would like your thoughts and recommendations for alternatives if you feel so inclined.

Thank you.

I own/have used:
  • Seachum Prime (this one is a keeper)
  • API Quick Start
  • API Stressszyme
  • API Stress Coat + (necessary for slime coat properties?)
  • Aqueon Water Clarifier
  • TopFin Ammonia Remover (no longer need now that I have Prime)
  • Betta Revive
  • Tetra Fungus Guard
  • API FW Master Test Kit
  • API Aquarium Salt, 65-Ounce (disc'd use because I have a snail. Should I reuse?)
  • API PH Buffer 7.5 (disc'd use)

Considering buying:
  • Tetra LifeGuard
  • Triple Sulfa Powder Packets
  • Seachem Purigen
  • Seachem StressGuard
  • API Calcium Test Kit
  • API Phosphate Test Kit
  • API Copper Test Kit
  • API GH and KH Test Kit

Anything I missed and should add to my list?
Your top list, I'd just stick with the Prime (truly all you need) and of course the API Master test kit. Aquarium salt is good to have on hand, but hopefully never needed. (Especially with a snail!)

For the second list, I'd consider the Purigen (hint: the 100ml packet had a bag, the larger portions don't, and the smaller bag is all you need for tanks under 20 gals, and it's rechargeable so should be the last you ever need... So don't buy more than you need!) to help keep your water sparkly clean, once your tank has cycled. The other kits are very rarely needed unless you're keeping specialty species, like certain shrimp. Your betta will be fine with Prime-treated tap water in 99% of US locations. I wouldn't bother stocking meds that you won't likely need, until/unless you actually need them.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #18 
Polkadot

Yep definitely a big yes to Seachem Prime,I would also add Seachem Stability which is a great product to help with a fish in cycle,and I have found API Stress Coat + to be wonderful too.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I agree with everything Rana has told you except for the conflict of Prime and TSS (or other bottled bacteria). Tetra is the only source that says Prime effects the performance of their product. Seachem (Prime) says no problem. I've never had a problem nor have I heard of anyone who has.

But Tetra Safestart (or other bottled bacteria) is a one-time-use product, certainly nothing you need to have "on-hand."

Prime and API Stresscoat do the same thing, but Prime is cheaper and cleaner.

While some keepers like to keep medications on-hand, they do have a shelf-life. If you're practicing good fish-keeping and water-keeping, you may never have use for them.

I'm with K-man: keep it simple, basic.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #20 
Valentino14

What effect would AQ salt have if you used it basically as a conditioner for every water change? I heard of this recently so I was curious. I don't think I would ever try it though. Will it even do anything?
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opinion, opinions, product, products, recommendations