Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Ocean theme-freshwater aquarium?

So I would like to "re-do" my bedroom with an ocean theme. I have a 10 gallon aquarium that I would love to fit with the theme. However it is freshwater. Any ideas on decor/fish (most likely another betta haha) /plants or whatever else for an ocean themed freshwater aquarium? Thanks
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #2 
kuklachica

oooh don't they make some "fake" sea glass?? that would be so pretty!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

maybe you could find some REALLY dull seaglass and boil it for 5 minutes
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #4 
kuklachica

i have like 5 lbs of it!! ooh now i have some ideas... Scuito... I bet you have some too since you also live in maine???
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #5 
Jupiter

I was thinking of redocarting my 10 gallon with a saltwater/marine theme, actually...but it would seem like a waste of the decor I already have in there.

I know petsmart sells some fake corals. Of course, i'm assuming you'd use sand as a substrate?

I was wondering...I have a dried up starfish that my uncle gave to me. Would it be safe to put it back in a tank? If it is, you could always get those.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

I would like to use sand as a substrate but isn't it a pain to clean... and doesn't it kill filters? Can someone clear that up for me? I have a starfish as well. It would look awesome, but would it have whatever "chemicals" or like dehydrated salt still be in the starfish?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Sand is okay to use as long as you don't have an undergravel filter. You can't use sand if you have one of those. Cleaning sand is pretty easy, from what I understand...just keep the siphon/gravel vacuum a few inches away from the sand. The suction will pick up the debris on top of the sand without sucking the sand up.

I don't know about the starfish though, I'm curious too. If I redo my tank, I'd like to put it in there, but I'm not sure if it's safe to do so.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #8 
puppyrjjkm

So there is sand specifically for aquariums right? On another fish forum multiple people said they used "play sand". So I tried it and it almost fried my filters. Does the aquarium sand not get "kicked up" as easily? Or how does it not get disturbed? Also are ADF's okay with a sand substrate? Wouldn't they eat some of it while looking for food?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #9 
Jupiter

I've only heard of people using play sand and pool filter sand. What type of filter do you have?

I think the ADFs should be okay. Normally sand is very fine and just passes through their digestive system if they eat any...lol.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #10 
puppyrjjkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I think the ADFs should be okay. Normally sand is very fine and just passes through their digestive system if they eat any...lol.
That's good to know! Um I believe it's a Whisper 10. It came with my 10 gallon, and I never had problems with it until I used play sand... I had platies in there and whenever they even like touched the bottom the sand starting circulating in the tank. It would get to the point that my filter would sound like it was grinding

I found this on petsmarts website. But wouldn't I have the same problem?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753227

Last edited by puppyrjjkm; 01-16-2010 at 02:26 PM.