Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #1 
telphora

bottom of the tank?

Right so I've had Oberon for a little over two weeks and he's now doing something that is rather confusing and I want to know if I'm just being stupid or if there's something wrong.

Just starting tonight (I think) he's started lying at the bottom of his tank. He's not on his side, and it doesn't look like he's having any trouble breathing (though sometimes his gills don't move and it's like he's holding his breath) and he stays like that for a number of minutes and then he's active and energetically swims to the surface, gets some air, floats around like normal and then goes back to the bottom. Now I have no idea how fish sleep, so maybe he's just tired? I know his light's been on for a while and it's usually the time I turn it off to sleep... but I'm afraid he might be sick and want to know what the deal is before I go to bed and have nightmares of waking up to a dead fish.

The tank is a 2 gal and I just changed the water today, it's at the same levels and stuff as usual, and it's currently at a balmy 80*. Fish has some darker patches on his scales but I'm 99.9% sure that's just his coloring. He doesn't appear to be in any distress other than the fact that nothing but his mouth and gills are moving.

Please tell me he's tired and I'm not a failure and killing my fish?
telphora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #2 
louu

I am by no means an expert BUT there doesnt seem anything particularly wrong apart from his lethargy. It could be signs of something coming or it could be his personality? I'm not sure..

I guess I'm not much help but I really wouldnt worry none of what you have described is a symptom on its own just keep an eye on him and brush up on your fishy diseases. But really just remember until he gets spots has trouble swimming there isnt much to worry about :)

p.s Do you have a thermometre in your tank or is the heater just set to 80?
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Could you take a picture of him?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #4 
telphora

Quote:
Originally Posted by louu View Post
I guess I'm not much help but I really wouldnt worry none of what you have described is a symptom on its own just keep an eye on him and brush up on your fishy diseases. But really just remember until he gets spots has trouble swimming there isnt much to worry about :)

p.s Do you have a thermometre in your tank or is the heater just set to 80?
I looked through the link this forum provides and the brown spots don't match up. But I did notice something odd on him this morning. You can see it in the picture.

And I have a thermometer.

And here's a couple of pictures of him.

Oberon: http://img10.imageshack.us/i/dscn7385.jpg/
Closeup: http://img19.imageshack.us/i/dscn7386.jpg/

And apparently I succeeded in attatching an image. Sorry about streaching the page. ><

You can see the brown patches on the scales in the closeup. He's had those since I got him and I think it's just part of his coloring since they don't match any symptoms to the diseases listed in that link. But I just noticed those white spots on his face and that one underneath his gill. I have to go look at that thread again.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #5 
louu

Quote:
Originally Posted by telphora View Post

Please tell me he's tired and I'm not a failure and killing my fish?
lol your not by any means a failure chances are he was sick when you got him.

now white spots could mean a lot of things so i have a couple of questions

Do the areas potrude?

Is it definately his scales?

Could it be something on top of his scales?

Could it possibly be mucus?

They look a bit pinky in the picture, is that what they look like in the flesh?

I cant stress this enough it will be OK! What ever is the problem you have caught it in the absolute first stages and is completely treatable, sometimes the simplest things like water changes fix the problem.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #6 
telphora

Quote:
Originally Posted by louu View Post
lol your not by any means a failure chances are he was sick when you got him.

now white spots could mean a lot of things so i have a couple of questions

Do the areas potrude?

Is it definately his scales?

Could it be something on top of his scales?

Could it possibly be mucus?

They look a bit pinky in the picture, is that what they look like in the flesh?

I cant stress this enough it will be OK! What ever is the problem you have caught it in the absolute first stages and is completely treatable, sometimes the simplest things like water changes fix the problem.
The areas do not appear to protrude from the scales, however his current position in the tank does not allow me to observe them properly.

I'm pretty sure if it's anything, it's on top of his scales. It might also be mucus... I think yesterday he was rubbing against his decor.

That's probably because of the light... they're white and slightly metalic/two toned looking... shiny.

I changed the water yesterday, so I'm not sure if I should do it again or not?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #7 
telphora

He's also sqimming rather... erratically? He's bumping into the tank walls and had issues swimming around the thermometer. Could it be Ich?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #8 
telphora

Right so I know I'm posting three things in a row here but I think I've solved it. I called my aunt who luckily is handy with all matters of fish and she suggested I do a 50/50 change which I did and hopefully that'll work.

She also said that it's either the healthy bacteria dying from the 100% water change the other day, and also probably the fact that I might have had lotion on my hands. Definitely will wash everything religiously from now on.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:17 AM   #9 
louu

Handy aunt, lol your lucky.

well I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hopefully thats all it is :) :)