Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2010, 04:38 AM   #1 
Rocket

New with a flarey question!!!

Hi,
I have just got myself a Betta. I have tried to keep Bettas before, but in a community tank...which I must say was quite stressful for me!! He kept getting fin nipped so I had to rehome him to keep him safe. Any how...I bought Rocket a week ago and he has his own tank. He is lovely and a right character, the only thing that concerns me is that he flares ALOT!! I have read that this is not good for a Betta, but how do I get him to stop? He is not shy and comes to the front to greet you and sits at the top waiting at feeding time...blows bubbles on the surface making lovely nests...he seems happy!!

I am not new to fish...I have an Oscar tank with a pair (I hope!) of 7 inch O's, but this little guy baffles me!! In fact he may be a fraction of the size..but I reckon his personality is just as big as my O's!!

If anyone has any ideas how to get him to be abit less flarey that would be great...any how here he is...( i'm very proud!!)
Attached Images

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Welcome to the forum!! Wow, he's gorgeous! They will flare at anything and everything they can, it's just their nature. But, after a couple weeks he should calm down and flare only occasionally. I wouldn't say it's necessarily bad for them, it helps stretch out their fins, but if they flare a lot, they could blow their fins. I haven't seen this happen with CT's. It's usually the long finned ones like VT's and HM's.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think he'll be fine. He should settle down in a few days. He's probably justr getting used to his new home. He's very pretty!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #4 
ScuitoAmi150

very pretty! I don't think it'll be bad for him, he should calm down after a while.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #5 
ChristinaRoss

he will be just fine flaring. its actually some exercise for him which is a good thing.
id be more concerned if he just laid around.
good luck with him
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

Pretty boy! I wouldn't worry too much yet.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Ooooo, what a pretty boy! :D Such bright, beautiful red! <3

Like what the others said, theres no need to worry about him flaring, he'll probably calm down after he settles in....I'd be far more worried if he was just laying around all the time! xD Your boy sounds happy and healthy ^-^

To add though, Supernova I've had for a very long time and hes a total flare monster. Flares at absolutely everything, me, the camera, his reflection, his neighbor, the algae in the tank, his rock cave, his plant....everything. I've come to the conclusion that thats just his personality, hes very happy and probably the healthiest of all my bettas. Your guy may just be a flare monster too ;) Haha
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #8 
Rocket

Thanks for you replies .

Well..I'll just leave him to it then!!! Flare Monster...lol....I love it!! I do hope so !! He seems a plucky little thing ...he looks like he is patrolling his tank most of the time...

I'll sit back and enjoy his flareyness!!!!8)
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #9 
louu

he's a stunner! ;)
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Haha flare monster! Some bettas are more aggressive than others. I usually put a calm one with a 'flare monster' in a divided tank and eventually they stop when the other one isn't flaring and enticing him.lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote