Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #1 
TheBettaNewb

rasboras and female bettas

i have 2 females in an undivided tank 9 months together (yes i know this is bad now but i am not sure i should separate them at this point) and was wondering if i could add some rasboras and ideal food for the rasboras :) thx

Last edited by TheBettaNewb; 02-17-2014 at 01:14 PM.
TheBettaNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #2 
Rana

Instead of rasboras I would add in some more female bettas, because there's no telling when your girls might snap and turn on each other. How big is your tank? In a cycled, densely planted (Fake or real) 10g you could have as many as seven or eight girls, and the more females the more spread out any aggression will be. Anything less than 10g should be divided, since you really can't have a sorority in a small tank unless it's temporary and the girls are young.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #3 
TheBettaNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Instead of rasboras I would add in some more female bettas, because there's no telling when your girls might snap and turn on each other. How big is your tank? In a cycled, densely planted (Fake or real) 10g you could have as many as seven or eight girls, and the more females the more spread out any aggression will be. Anything less than 10g should be divided, since you really can't have a sorority in a small tank unless it's temporary and the girls are young.
Yes I have a ten gallon it is in my picture is that planted enough? And I asked the sea escapes people (my best local pets store besides petco and petsmart) and they said not to risk it? So how should I approach doing this? One last thing in a sorority how would I feed them? The same way?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I would be hesitant to add any further fish to your tank. While I always strongly advise against keeping two females together, if the females seem to be cohabitating peacefully enough now, I worry that introducing further fish would upset that balance.

Fish can become more aggressive if they are stressed, and if the rasboras prove stressful to your females, you may find things start to fall apart.

If I was looking at getting more fish, I would do as Rana has suggested and invest in some more females. I like to see a minimum of five females for a sorority and a 10 gallon tank is adequate for a group of this size.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #5 
Rana

I would add in more plants, the more the better with sororities. Mine looks like a total jungle and I'm still thinking about adding more! This is a great thread about sororities: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=123796

I would buy a few girls (I'd go with 3-5), preferably fairly young, and quarantine them for a few weeks- you can float their cups in the main tank, just make sure to keep their water separate in case one is sick. After at least two weeks if everyone is healthy, take your original girls out and rearrange the tank. This makes it so that everyone has a "new" tank to explore rather than your original girls being defensive of their territory. Then acclimate everyone to the tank water and let them go. There will probably be chasing and fin-nipping, so don't panic and only take a girl out if actual damage is being done. After a few days to weeks it'll settle down.

It's better to do temporary time-outs at first rather than removing a girl permanently, you can do this by either putting her into a cup and floating her for a few more days or buying a clear/mesh breeder's box and letting her stay in that for a while. I like the box more than cups, since then they share the same water which is less work- just make sure they have air to breathe.

For feeding I just turn down the filter's flow (Mine's adjustable) and drop in pellets a few at a time until everyone has eaten at least a few. Right now one girl is in a time-out box, so I need to feed her individually.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

You would definitely need more cover. My most successful sorority was a ten gallon tank that was planted so densely you couldn't see from one end of the tank to the other.

You want to provide cover at all levels of the tank, but particularly up near the surface. This way weaker females won't be attacked or chased off when they come up for air or to eat.

I used to feed my sorority by dropping in a line of pellets at the front of the tank. Those females that were less confident or aggressive, I'd feed by putting pellets closer to them.

The most important thing when upping the number of females in your tank, is whether your filter is capable of handling the added bioload. You definitely don't want to be dealing with ammonia spikes in a sorority. I had a cycle crash once and it not only wiped out half my sorority but also caused great stress to the survivors.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #7 
TheBettaNewb

Should I separate them and buy a new 10 gallon tank? I am hesitant to make a sorority because I am new to betta keeping when I went to buy the bettas I had read females were good together but they did not give a number and the employee did not warn me so I am in a tuff spot :/ plus I am only 13 lol

Last edited by TheBettaNewb; 02-17-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #8 
Rana

In that case I think it might be better if you just divided the tank, sororities are a lot of work especially for a newbie. You don't need to get another tank, this way you only have one tank to take care of. You can make dividers for just a few dollars, using plastic craft mesh and presentation binders- here is a great tutorial, or they can be bought at pretty much any pet store.

Even though your girls have been living together for a while they won't get sad or lonely in a divided tank, bettas aren't really social like some other fish. They might even be glad to have their own space!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #9 
TheBettaNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
In that case I think it might be better if you just divided the tank, sororities are a lot of work especially for a newbie. You don't need to get another tank, this way you only have one tank to take care of. You can make dividers for just a few dollars, using plastic craft mesh and presentation binders- here is a great tutorial, or they can be bought at pretty much any pet store.

Even though your girls have been living together for a while they won't get sad or lonely in a divided tank, bettas aren't really social like some other fish. They might even be glad to have their own space!
Thx for your help :) would ghost shrimp be fine to add on both sides? And just to clarify sorry for being a newbie that's why that's my name :P I only need one heater and filter right?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #10 
Rana

No worries, I usually don't pay much attention to people's usernames so I didn't even think to check yours until after you replied! We love newbies around here, so feel free to ask as many questions as you want. :3

I think one or two shrimp per side would be fine, some people cut holes into the bottom of their dividers for them to go from one side to the other but I don't know what sizes you'd need. They're sensitive to water conditions, so you'll need to make sure you stay on top of water changes.

And yes, you only need one heater and filter for the tank. What you might want to do is get two dividers instead of one so you can have a little "no man's land" section in the middle, and put the heater and filter there. That way both sides get even heat and water flow. Plus, if one of your bettas gets through the divider by mistake there is still the second divider keeping her from getting into the other section and potentially fighting.