Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #1 
BettaSCHmacK

I hate walmart!

So I was walmart last night and couldnt help but look at they're selection of bettas. i had bought one from them months ago and he's doing very well. but what i seen was horrible. there was 2 dead bettas in those little cups they sell them in. and the workers there just stacked them on top of each other in full display. i was disgusted by that so i started looking for another betta. i seen a copper colored crown tail and couldnt help but to save the lil guy. i really didnt have the money, but i did it anyway. i really wish i could of gotten more.

well when i got home i noticed a small white scar looking thing on his right side. i still cant find out what that is even ive searched the net. anyone know what that might be??? also he hasnt eatin a bite since last night. i'll try to feed him a pebble and he'll just push it way with his mouth. anyone know what might cause that also?? im really hoping he'll pull through.

sometimes i just dont understand what the hard part is about selling betta in a more comfortable way for the fish. its just wrong.
BettaSCHmacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #2 
BettaSCHmacK

well i found out what it was....its some sort of fungus infection. sad to say i dont have the means to get to a legit pet store till this weekend to buy medicine. is there any other alternatives to this infection??? still dont know what the eating disorder is.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #3 
FuulieQ

He's probably just stressed. When I first got my betta a few days ago, he kept refusing to eat. Last night, though, I finally got him to start eating pellets, and he's taken them whenever I put them in since. As for the meds, from what I've heard all you can do without medicine is turn the water temp up and put a little salt in.

Sorry. :c I hope he gets better, he sounds beautiful.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #4 
BettaSCHmacK

thank you. i will be changing out his water everyday until i see improvement. oh, what kind of salt should i use??? aquarium salt? or normal salt. =/
Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #5 
sunset

Aquarium salt. I am so glad that my Walmart has stopped selling fish altogether. Hope that the little guy starts to improve soon!
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #6 
Synthisis

Its mainly walmarts betta's that are poorly kept.

From looking at the tanks and talkign to the staff, the tanks are very well maintained and the fish staff seems knowledgeable.
Synthisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #7 
BettaSCHmacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
Aquarium salt. I am so glad that my Walmart has stopped selling fish altogether. Hope that the little guy starts to improve soon!

i totally agree! only pet stores should sell animals/pets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post

i totally agree! a place like walmart should not be selling fish.

and yes he is slowly improving. because of him i might need to purchase 2 smaller tanks instead of the 5g i was planning on buying my older one.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-12-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I really hate Walmart too. I bought one of my CTs there, he was almost dead and had no coloring left and was laying on the bottom. In a day he turned a bright red color and his bodies tinted a silvery color. I have before and after pictures and it's just amazing what a little TLC can do.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #9 
ScuitoAmi150

He'll eat after he settles in. My girl Drina wouldn't eat for 3 days.
You can add aquarium salt to help till you can get medicine.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #10 
ChristinaRoss

just make sure that you dissolve the salt BEFORE you put it in his water. take a cup of his tank water out and dissolve it in that so he wont get burns from the salt if he came in contact with it or tried to put it in his mouth
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote