Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #11 
LisaC144

Cool, that sounds like a good idea then. What do you wrap the top around to keep it in place?
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I really would need to know what kind of filter you have.. this is what I have..

See where the intake is.. at the bottom? Well what I do is take the pantyhose.. cut 4 in from the toe.. then just slip it over the bottom like it was a foot.. they pantyhose stay there without tape or anything and you want to be able to take it off to rinse it when you do water changes or it can get clogged.

Here is what mine looks like (you can really see it in this pic but I lighted it so you could see them clearly... it also needs to be cleaned.. sorry)

What kind of filter do you have?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #13 
pretzelsz

I have one question that is all over the place. How much and how often should i feed my betta Fudd? i just got him yesterday and i dont know how much to feed him. Also what fish is compatible with a male betta? and at petco they said that females are comunitty fish so i was wondering because i have swordtails and zebra danios(i heard mixed things abouth them). Would a female be suitible for that tank. Also i read on the first page of the MUST READ that bottom feeders are compatable is that true? Yet 1 more... i have a 2 gallon tank and i am wondering should i get aheater or a filter(an anoying 360o one)( so a heater might be the only possible thing)
pretzelsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

Ok.. feed 3 pellets twice a day and a few times a week mix it up with frozen, live, or freeze dried food.

Its best to not put a male in a tank with other fish.. but if you REALLY want to have another fish I would get a bottom feeder. Don't add another fish or any animal to your betta's two gallon bc it will overstock that size.

Females can live in sororities and possibly communities but I wouldn't reccomend it.

Remember.. bettas a solitary fish. They LIKE to be alone and IMO will be much less stressed when given their own tank. If you really want a community tank its better to just go with community fish.

Good tank mates IMO are snails and shrimp.. they can't harm your betta and are slow moving which will not scare your fish. They also help eat algae.

Bettas are tropical fish so you should put a heater in their tanks unless your room naturally heats the tank to 76-82*. You don't need a filter unless your going to cycle your tank.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #15 
pretzelsz

ok 2 things. 1 petco didnt have pellet betta food. I'll try petsmart this weekend hopefully. 2 what kind of heater? prefebly cheap i am running low on cash
Old 01-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

I don't know why petco wouldn't have it but petsmart definitely will. Top Fin is a good brand as are Wardley's, Hikari, and Aqueon.

Really the only heater you can get for a 2 gallon is a Hydor Mini 7.5 watt heater. They will have these at petsmart and they're not too expensive. You also want to get a thermometer so you can tell the exact temp.. these are the best..http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752255
Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #17 
pretzelsz

i acually have a thermmeter already since i had a 10g that came with one then a 20g that came with one and i dont know what happend to the 10g tank but i have the thermometer i want to go this weekend but it is a busy weekend. i might need t get a filter too
Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #18 
LisaC144

1fish2fish, that is extremely creative and a great idea. I looks good and doesn't look like an eye sore at all. Thanks a lot for the advice!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #19 
1fish2fish

LOL thanks.. But I can't take credit for it.. the pantyhose trick has been passed down from Betta keeper to betta keeper online.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #20 
LisaC144

What does it do exactly? Just slow down the flow of the water being filtered?