Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #1 
Kalari32

Exclamation Rescued two male bettas

For a floral design project for school, 75 students were required to each being a betta to school to put in a very small vase an put a plant at the top of the vase. I knew it wasn't sufficient enough to house and keep a betta healthy in, so I moved mine to a five gallon, and just upgraded him to a 10 gallon. However, two of my friends haven't done water changes in their vase for two weeks, and one friend hasn't been feeding her betta. They told me they were just going to let the bettas die. Immediately I offered to pick up both of the bettas. Both of the bettas are in such discusting water, its so hard to believe how they live in these conditions.
One is in alright shape, and probably just needs clean water. That one ate two pellets this morning.
The second one however, has clamped fins, I think a bent back, and did not eat this morning.

Today I'm going to ensure they get into clean water, but I need to know how big their hospital tanks should be. I have two cups (the ones that you buy the bettas in), and two small vases. Which would be better to use?

Also, what treatment do they need? I will be able to post pictures of the two bettas later today.

An because I do not particularly want to divide my 10 gallon, one or both of the bettas will be up for free adoption when they are healthy enough to ship. (Shipping cost would be the only thing needed)
One is a orange butterfly veil tail male
And the other I think is a blue super delta (or half moon) elephant ear male
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #2 
KevinPham123

Good luck with them!, hope to see photos of their improvements.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #3 
Kalari32

Thank you! Both are very pretty, and I'm sure their colors will pop soon! I may keep one in my 5 gallon, but I haven't decided yet
Old 06-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #4 
KevinPham123

A 5 gallon would be great for it.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #5 
Riverotter

That is wonderful that you rescued them!! I am proud of you for being such a good person and a good example to your friends.

For a hospital tank, you could divide the 5 While they recover. It is easy to make a divider out of plastic craft mesh.

Perhaps you could write a letter to the principal about how teaching kids to be callous and inhumane to a living creature is an un-necessary step in teaching floral design.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #6 
Kalari32

Should I do an Epsom salt treatment for the second betta?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #7 
Riverotter

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. And oak leaves (for the soothing tannins) are what folks used for years before IAL were readily available.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #8 
Kalari32

Where could I get oak leaves?

And thank you! I will indeed write a letter!

But there is one problem, my five gallon tank has a bow front, so I'm not sure how to devide it then
Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #9 
NorthernLights

Dividing a bow front is tricky. I'll let the folks who know how to do that speak, but you might check over in the betta habitat forum.

Feel free to post pictures of the new guys and fill out the forms for them; we'll be happy to help.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #10 
Riverotter

:) You can get oak leaves outside. Several kinds grow in TX;
https://www.google.com/search?q=texa...w=1440&bih=781

texastreeid.tamu.edu

You should still be able to divide it with some craft mesh, which you can get at walmart or any place that sells art supplies. It looks like this, is cheap, and easily cut with scissors.
http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Count-Pl...t+mesh+plastic