Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #1 
gahcrazy

Question BARE BOTTOM or GRAVEL ??

Hi there everybody! ToDay I had to pull my male bettas from their large tanks, do to the gravel, at least thats the only answer that fits the circumstance. So after howerver long it takes to heal up thier fins (or as long as i can stand their sad, sad looks) , i wonder if a bare bottom or gravel substrate would be best. I know that all gravel is not created equal. So I ask those of u that would like to give thier ideals on this subject a voice, to please do so! and thanks....
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

I prefer river rocks personally. They are larger and easier to clean.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I don't understand (sorry).. why did you have to take your fish out?

I have gravel in my tanks but ideally I would do eco complete or sand. I've never had a single problem with the gravel.

The problem with having a bare bottom is it makes it harder to hold a cycle.. most of your bacteria from the cycle lives in the substrate (as well as the filter, decorations, and walls of the tank).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I just like the look of rocks in my tank, but some people just leave the bottoms bare.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #5 
DragonFish

If we're talking about a cycled tank I personally prefer gravel, never tried sand(though I've been thinking about it for a while...)so I can't comment there. Bare bottom is easier to keep clean however, but gravel makes it look a little better. Its really just personal preference there.

However, if we're talking about an uncycled tank(one where your doing frequent 100% WCs), then you'd probably be better off going with those larger marbles, the river rocks, or just bare bottom. Its REALLY a pain to clean gravel every time to do a WC, not to mention at least a few pieces slip out and go down the drain each time(at least thats what happens to me, maybe I'm just special....). Again though, its all personal preference really. Each substrate(or lack of....)has its pluses and minuses, in the end it comes down to what you think looks nice.

Though, I must admit I am a little confused as well O.o; There really is no way for gravel to harm a bettas fins.....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #6 
Jupiter

It's all personal preference. Bare bottomed tanks are easier to clean, and I don't mind the look of them. But if you want to cycle your tank, it's better to have gravel at the bottom.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
If we're talking about a cycled tank I personally prefer gravel, never tried sand(though I've been thinking about it for a while...)so I can't comment there. Bare bottom is easier to keep clean however, but gravel makes it look a little better. Its really just personal preference there.

However, if we're talking about an uncycled tank(one where your doing frequent 100% WCs), then you'd probably be better off going with those larger marbles, the river rocks, or just bare bottom. Its REALLY a pain to clean gravel every time to do a WC, not to mention at least a few pieces slip out and go down the drain each time(at least thats what happens to me, maybe I'm just special....). Again though, its all personal preference really. Each substrate(or lack of....)has its pluses and minuses, in the end it comes down to what you think looks nice.

Though, I must admit I am a little confused as well O.o; There really is no way for gravel to harm a bettas fins.....
Try using one of these

you can get them from the dollar store so they're definitely cheap and no gravel gets through. I rinse a little at a time then set it on a paper towel and rinse some more until all of its clean.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

The river rocks I use don't slip through. That's what's great about them!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Try using one of these

you can get them from the dollar store so they're definitely cheap and no gravel gets through. I rinse a little at a time then set it on a paper towel and rinse some more until all of its clean.
Yeah....those don't really help me much. I'm too clumsy, I loose pieces anyway xDD Takes to long to get the gravel clean anyway, no matter how I do it...I just personally think its easier and more time-efficient to have marbles or bare bottom in an uncycled tank...then again, this also boils down to personal preference xD Haha.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use gems in mine. I used gravel for awhile but it was too hard to clean and the finer pieces went right through my strainer. I'm still picking up pieces from my bathroom floor.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote