Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #1 
BettaSquirt

Question Hey guyss, I have a question...

Heyy I haven't been on for a while, but i have a new question about my friends new fish.

Today, me and my friend went to petco to get her a betta. We picked out a beutiful crowntail that has purple, blue, white, and red on him. We got him a half gallon tank and everything he needed, and then when we brought him to her house, we put him in the tank and everything. Now when we watch him swim, he swims like theres a current in the tank (which there isnt) and he floats to the top when he stays still, and floats backwards.... I dont know if he's just not used to swimming in space like this or not? I dont know, but if someone has an answer that'd be great!

Thank youu.
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Bettas should be in 2Gs or more. He could be feeling cramped in that small of a space or he's a little agitated. Is there a plant in there for him to hide in?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #3 
BettaSquirt

Yes, and I dont think they really need to be in tanks that big. I have 2 of mine in 1 gallons and their fine. And she only had a certain amount of money, its really a hassle to have them in big tanks.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Actually, it's MORE of a hassle to have them in smaller tanks.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yup. A half gallon tank needs to be cleaned every other day or 4 times a week 100% so the ammonia doesn't build up. With a 2G, you can get away with once a week 100%.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #6 
BettaSquirt

Okay then. It not really her fault that she cant afford big tanks, she just wanted a fish its not a big deal, i just want to know if hes okay or not with his swimming.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He's probably fine, just checking out the tank. It can take a couple days before they get comfortable.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #8 
BettaSquirt

Okay thanks, i was thinking that since he must of been in that little cup at the store for a while, maybe he might not know how to swim in a big space, i dont know, i'll see how he is in a few days. Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #9 
BettaSquirt

And also he has alot of space in his tank, its not small, not like 1/4 of a gallon or anything its a half and he has one plant and gravel and some shells, he has enough room to swim around, and of course we added salt and conditioner so hes all set. His water was also a good temp, probably like 78 or so. Once he gets bigger, she has another big tank, but its old, ill have her use that one. Its around 2 gallons.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Have your or your friend looked into 'Kritter Keepers'? The medium size is $8-$10, around 2.5 gallons, light and easy to carry for WCs, are very space-efficient, come with a nice, convenient lid with a little door in the top for feeding, and can be safely heated :) Wonderful little inventions, I have two of them.

But a question....if she has another tank...why not clean it and set it up now? I doubt her betta is really going to 'grow'....pet store bettas are generally already a year or so old, they really don't have any more growing to do ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote