Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #1 
G26okie

10 Gallon Setup

Figured I'd share my new 10 gallon setup in progress.

Plants will be added over the next few days... including Java ferns Anubias and dwarf sag, with anacharis top cover.

Going for a low maintenance, slow growing hardy tank.

It is a deep blue professional 10 gallon black silicone, aqua clear 20 HOB filter.

The background is a universal rocks 3d rocky background, only 1/4 inch thick!

Driftwood is oak mounted on slate, also going to add some low/long pieces of mopani to mount the java ferns/anubias.

The big stone to the side is emerald quartz.

Live stock is going to be either RCS or Ghost shrimp, with 1 plakat betta, and 6-8 white cloud minnows.

I will be posting it fully planted within the next few days.
G26okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #2 
meganlbetta

Looks like its going to be a beauty! It looks like the similar substrate I have. It will take a day to settle and be clear with a filter going so you may need to wait a day or a few hours before adding stock. If you don't have them yet, you can just do the plants and then add your stock a couple days later so its all clear :)
meganlbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #3 
G26okie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganlbetta View Post
Looks like its going to be a beauty! It looks like the similar substrate I have. It will take a day to settle and be clear with a filter going so you may need to wait a day or a few hours before adding stock. If you don't have them yet, you can just do the plants and then add your stock a couple days later so its all clear :)
Yeah, stock isn't going in for a few days after its all filled. I have seeded material from my bettas current tank to help the cycle go along, and the master test kit.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #4 
G26okie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganlbetta View Post
The substrate is a bottom layer of flourite dark that I had left over, and the rest is Floramax midnight.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #5 
BulletToothBoris

Dont do White clouds. Do rasboras. White clouds like cooler temps.
BulletToothBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #6 
G26okie

Update. My foreground, dwarf sag, was supposed to come today, but it isn't getting here until tomorrow, of course tomorrow the store I get the other plants is closed, so I planted it today, filled it, and will drain it and plant the foreground tomorrow.

Java ferns and java fern mats attached to the driftwood in the back and right side.

Anubias nana, and anubias nana narrow leaf attached to the rock on the left, and in the substrate. Tomorrow, the foreground will be filled with dwarf sag and root tabs (I have about 15 plants coming).

Also, the reason I'd rather have the minnows are
1. They seem much more interesting to watch than the rasboras
2. They are hardier (if that is a word).
3. I've read multiple accounts of people keeping them in water up to 80* with no issues, my house is 74* during the night, and a max of 76*. IMO i think they will be fine.

Last edited by G26okie; 02-19-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #7 
Joey Fish

Wow it looks great,
Cant wait to see it all planted and stocked.
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #8 
2muttz

wow, just gorgeous! Looks like something you'd see in a professional public aquarium.

Please keep posting pictures !
2muttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #9 
G26okie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muttz View Post
wow, just gorgeous! Looks like something you'd see in a professional public aquarium.

Please keep posting pictures !
Haha thanks!

Today I am going to put one more anubias in, behind the small one next to the rock, move the moss ball to the middle behind the upright driftwood, and fill the foreground with dwarf sag. I might put something tall next to the filter intake.

I am using a desk lamp with a 14 watt cfl at 5000k, probably going to change it to a 6500k and get a little yellow outta there. The anacharis is shading the java ferns and anubias.

Last edited by G26okie; 02-20-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #10 
G26okie

Update, added another anubias nana attached to a white rock in the back, and planted all the dwarf sag up front.

Using sea chem root tabs near the anubias with roots, and all the dwarf sag. Dosed Flourish comprehensive. Light is set for 6-7 hours on.

I also added the bio material from my other tank.