Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #1 
Rollo

I am even killing the moss balls

This is my first serious attempt at a planted tank and I think so far it's safe to say I suck at it.

The sword in the back left the leafs are turning brown, the other two swords are green but alot more droppy than they first were. the grass looks alot rougher and even the moss balls are dying.

I set the tank up about 2 weeks ago it's 10 gallon with no betta or other fish yet. I had two 6W CFL in the hood, but changed them today for two 13W figuring maybe not enough light. Have been putting in drops per dosing instructions of FlorinAxis carbon source and FlorinAxis Multi nutrient with iron and iodine every day. the plants are in flourite in their respective pots.
Water is testing OK for an aquarium. The moss balls really frost me because they are a nice emerald green in my non planted Betta's tank, I am trying for them to do good here and they turning brown. any suggestions

[IMG][/IMG]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #2 
Scott7975

Are you using tap water? If so are you dechlorinating it? Are you overdosing with chemicals maybe? Im new to the plant stuff but marimo balls are the easiest thing to take care of from what I have read.
Scott7975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #3 
Rollo

The water is from a well so no chlorine to worry about. I think your right about the chemicals, moss balls are doing fine in my other non planted tank so the only real difference between the two tanks is the fertilizer and carbon source I am adding to this one. Maybe I will just stop adding it all together for a while and see what happens. Non of the plants are happy right now so I think it can't hurt.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What are the exact plant names you have here? Back left looks like a Melon Sword? Back right looks like a regular Amazon Sword? Front right is java moss, front left looks like an Anubias species? And then Marimo balls.

Also, I've never heard of the ferts you are using, perhaps you should try some SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive? That has the majority of what your are using in one bottle making it easier. I use a few drops in a 10 gallon daily or every other day and my plants are growing obnoxiously without enhanced gravel, just regular plain gravel although recently I did add some laterite to try to stimulate my dwarf hairgrass more.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #5 
peachii

Brightwell aquatic products are just as good as Seachem, nothing wrong with using them at all.

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/florinmulti.php
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Brightwell aquatic products are just as good as Seachem, nothing wrong with using them at all.

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/florinmulti.php
Okay! Just never heard of them was all, I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions on liquid ferts since I'm still learning myself!!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #7 
Rollo

The sword turning brown is from petsmart, If I remember correctly (ya I should have written it down) It was just labeled Echinodorus but didn't have a second name to narrow it down to a specific sword. The Grassy looking plant I believe was labeled Sagittaria also petsmart. The other two swords I got from a mom/pop fish store, so not labeled but the guy said they were amazon swords.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #8 
AmbiantNight

If those moss balls are Marimo they don't like hard sun light. Take them out and put them in a bowl placed in a spot with diffused light. Marimo also don't always do well with the fertalizers used for other plants. Your better to use the plant tablets if you got Mars in the tank.
AmbiantNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

the "grass" is not grass, it is Java Moss which is why it isn't looking so hot. Java Moss likes to be attached to think, not planted as a normal plant so you could attach them to the ornament, that would be pretty neat I think ^_^

Also take into account, your plants are acclimating to your water which means they will melt and look pretty bad for a while until they acclimate and get used to your water since this is all new to them! So remove dead/dying leaves from the sword since that will just take away from them and they won't focus on new leaves. Here take a look at this link for sword care: http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Decor%20Amazon%20Sword.htm
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #10 
Rollo

Ok moss balls are out and now living in there own individual mason jars. Decided to get semi-radical and removed the tile in case it was leeching something out. I cut back a lot of leafs on the sword that has it's leafs turning brown (far left) and groomed out the one plant on the right in the glass as a pot. What ever that is came from petsmart in a pot. both it and the petsmart sword came in pots. Now I have to decide if should go back to the original 6W CFL or stick with these 13W.
[IMG][/IMG]