Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #21 
Morguex

I'm looking at the picture of your tank and I don't see a filter or bubbler in there. The water looks very stagnant and still.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the waters needs to be moving around at least a little to spread around the plant nutrients you are adding.

Also we're the tiles glued together and or used? They could be leeching chemicals into the water and posioning the plants.
Morguex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #22 
Rollo

Good point Morguex, has made me think about it, mixing the fert and carbon source in the water. I believe what I will do in the future is do the dosing during a water change. I will put the stuff in the new water and mix real well before I add to the tank.
Since these plant's are in pots I did look at those fert tabs that you bury in the substrate but the ones I saw they are like the liquid stuff I have now no nitrogen or phosphorous, just potassium.

PS. I did pull the tile out yesterday, I believe they are inert ceramic, but you never know so I pulled them. I had filled the gaps between the tiles with RTV silicon which is the same goop they use to seal the tanks. They were kind of like a mat that just layed on the bottom so was easy to get out. Figured getting rid of it for now at least would eliminate on possible issue.

Last edited by Rollo; 02-20-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #23 
Joey Fish

I think your main problem is that the tank is not stocked with fish, snails etc.
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #24 
Rollo

My tap (well actually) water has a bit of ammonia right out of the ground, around .25 ppm so there is a nitrogen source via the ammonia already in the water. I have been testing for ammonia every other day hoping to see that the ammonia start to be consumed for it's nitrogen by the plants. Another reason don't want to add a betta just yet. Part of what I am doing here is trying to get some practical experiance with the water chemistry of the plants.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote