Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #1 
faewind1

background flare-up

So i bought one of those nifty aquarium backgrounds for my bettas 5gal tank (getting so tired of seeing my off white wall through the tank) and i stuck it up behind the tank just to get him used to it and make sure i liked it and he started flaring at it like crazy. i figured it was just like any other time i put something new in his tank and given an hour or two he would realize that its not going to attack. so i went to bed and when i woke up he was still flaring at it! like he was doing that all night!. the poor guy! so of course i removed the background. I think its causing him to see his reflection like when i push the betta book up against the aquarium. Is there anything i can do to help him realize its not a threat? any suggestions? has anyone else used backgrounds?
faewind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

In a couple days he would've gotten used to it. Putting a background in is something totally new to him and he needs time to get used to it. I put a background on one of my tanks because it's near the window so I'm using it to block out the light and my betta hasn't flared at it, but it doesn't give off a reflection either. Does it have a pattern to it? I saw one that even made my eyes hurt.lol I have a regular calming background, it was some plants and gravel in the picture.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #3 
faewind1

mine is like yours, very natural looking with rocks and plants i guess i'm just afraid of stressing him out too much. And i can't say for certain it gives off his reflection just something i thought might be causing it. i've just never seen him react to anything quite so fiercely
Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #4 
dr2b

I can't use those. Any kind of background I stick on Flair's tank makes him go crazy. He will stay at that back wall, and not even come up for food. He just flares at the background.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Hmm maybe Valentino's a calm guy.lol He's never flared at it. Some bettas are more aggressive than others.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #6 
faewind1

fortunately my guy stops flaring anytime i'm near the tank at least for a moment or two to say hi see if i have food and i was adding some stones the other night when it was up and my hand was in the water and he stopped flaring while i was in there and was poking around my hand checking out what was doing. Hes very curious. but he didn't start flaring until i was away and done fixing his tank.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #7 
LisaC144

Interesting. I am having the same exact problem and was about to post the same question but decided to browse the forum first. I have a black background on my tank. My betta was flaring at it the whole time too. He definitely sees his reflection. I put live plants in the back to sort of cover the background but he still finds a place where the background isn't covered and starts flaring. I dont' want him stressed all the time.
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #8 
Angela86

It might just take a few days for him to get used to it. I have one that is natural looking on my 5 gal as well and Cavell flairs a little bit every now and then, but it seems more like he is playing, he swims back and fourth in front of it then flairs just his gills for a few seconds then stops
Angela86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #9 
puppyrjjkm

I agree with everyone else. It may take him a while to get used to it. I have backgrounds on all of my tanks. My boys occasionally flare at it (or just their reflection) but it's not constant, so they don't get stressed out or anything.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #10 
LisaC144

I'm keeping mine up for a few days. So, I got him on Saturday and didn't feed him so he could explore the tank and just in case he had eatten already that day. Well Sunday, Monday, and today I put some food in for him and he doesn't even go near it. The first day I tried Betta flakes and yesterday and today I tried Aqueon betta pellets. He's sees them because one floated right by his face but he hasn't eattne any. Should I be concerned yet?
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote