Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #1 
kuklachica

suspicious test results?

So I finally got my test kit today to keep track of my cycle (with fish). I have four males in a divided 20 gal that has been set up for just over a week. I just tested the water (before doing a WC) and I got 0 readings on each (ammonia, nitrites and -trates). How could this be possible? I am using the API master test. I did not rinse the tubes before using them.

Are these results even possible at this point? There has been no algae bloom (which would make at least the -trate test accurate).

Should I re-do the tests?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #2 
dr2b

Just redo the test. Did you add the proper amount of solution and let it sit long enough?
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #3 
kuklachica

Yes & yes... gonna go re-do them now
Old 01-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #4 
kuklachica

Amm - less than .25, may .1?

-ites - 0

-ates - 0

still seems odd?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #5 
Pellaz

Sometimes it takes longer then you think to get your first ammonia reading. The first tank I ever cycled took WEEKS for me to get a measurable reading. With 4 fish in a 20 gallon tank it really shouldn't take much longer before your little tube starts turning green...just be patient. Its especially frustrating the first time because you don't know what to expect.

What kind of filter are you using and what temp. do you keep you're tank?
Pellaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #6 
vaygirl

Did you do the whole shaking of the 2nd bottle and test tube on the nitrates? The first time I didn't do that part right.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #7 
Pellaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
Amm - less than .25, may .1?

-ites - 0

-ates - 0

still seems odd?

I'd say that's pretty normal for a tank just over a week old. But again, my experiences with cycling have always been long long processes.

It can take a while for all that fish waste/uneaten fish food to break down.

Last edited by Pellaz; 01-20-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #8 
kuklachica

Hi guys,

I have a Whisper Power filter, and the tank is set at 82*.

I did do all the crazy shaking and dropping correctly... wow - the nitrates are a pain!

When I do water changes, should I vacuum the bottom as well, or leave the waste so it it starts breaking down?

Can I add stress-zyme at this point or is it too late/not worth it?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #9 
dr2b

I personally don't believe in Stress-zyme. I was told by someone who had kept fish for 20-25 years that it didn't really work and was just a way to make money. Also, from seeing other people use them that I know - it never really works very well.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #10 
Pellaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
Hi guys,

I have a Whisper Power filter, and the tank is set at 82*.

I did do all the crazy shaking and dropping correctly... wow - the nitrates are a pain!

When I do water changes, should I vacuum the bottom as well, or leave the waste so it it starts breaking down?

Can I add stress-zyme at this point or is it too late/not worth it?

Thanks!
I would recommend not vacuuming the gravel at all until your cycle is complete(zero Ammonia, zero NitrIte, and a NitrAte reading). Don't touch anything on the filter either; that includes the mechanical filtration (filter floss pads or whatever the whisper uses). Just leave it all until your done...any disturbance could result in a longer period of time for your cycle to complete. The bacteria you're slowly cultivating lives on the surface area that your substrate and filter provide. Just keep up with your partial water changes to reduce the stress on the fish as much as possible.

What is your PH? Ammonia toxicity depends heavily on how acidic or alkaline you're water is. Lower PH (more acidic) results in less toxic ammonia, and a higher PH (more alkaline) makes it much more so.

Here is a chart so when you test for ammonia you can gauge how toxic it will be to you're fish, thus allowing you to better gauge how long you can go before changing the water.

http://www.dataguru.org/misc/aquariu...ml#ammonia1ppm

82 degree's is a great temp to cycle tanks. In my experience the higher the temp, the quicker everything seems to happen.

I added stress-zyme to my first tank and it did absolutely nothing unfortunately. :( The only way to cheat is if you know someone with an already cycled tank. You can take some of they're filter media and use it to seed yours. I've done this successfully multiple times with my tanks in the past.

Keep us posted!