Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #1 
rpadgett37

Twigs from the yard?

I have an idea for creating what would look like ivy creeping up the back of my aquarium. Twigs from my yard would be perfect for this.

Can I use twigs from the yard? If yes, is prep any different than for driftwood?
rpadgett37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #2 
Lights106

Loooove that idea, but not sure.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #3 
0ut0fsight4443

I am not sure either, your going to have to research the type of wood to make sure that is it okay, but I would believe treating it like driftwood would work. Just not sure enough to back up the idea, just incase it takes the wrong turn for your fish.

I have been wanting for summer to come so that my Father can go around Lake Michigan for me and find a nice piece of driftwood. But I would still have to soak it and test the water for any foreign chemicals and parasites before I would throw the driftwood into my tank.

Better safe then dead fish.
0ut0fsight4443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #4 
Joey Fish

I agree I have wanted to use sticks and roots from my plants for driftwood, I would like to see what people know about it
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #5 
kittenfish

You want dead, hard wood, nothing from an evergreen tree or plants that have been sprayed with pesticides. Freshly fallen wood could have saps or other things that can leech into your water. Ideally you want something that's been dead for years. If you find something that seems safe, you need to wash and boil it for several hours to kill anything that might be living in it and to remove some of the tannins. I would also remove any bark.

If you don't want to risk it, look into manzanita wood, it's pretty twiglike and aquarium-safe.
kittenfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #6 
2muttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ut0fsight4443 View Post

I have been wanting for summer to come so that my Father can go around Lake Michigan for me and find a nice piece of driftwood. But I would still have to soak it and test the water for any foreign chemicals and parasites before I would throw the driftwood into my tank.
I have one small piece of Lake Michigan driftwood in a tank and I love it! It sure took a long time to sink, though. I boiled it for several days, then let it soak in a pail for about 2 months (!) and it still floated for at least a month in my tank before it finally... finally... sank!! It was worth it though, washed smooth and safe and clean from the Lake. I also love the beautiful smooth stones that we pick up on the beaches there.

Like you I want warmer weather to come so I can go get more ~ but I figure at the rate we're going it will be July before all the snow is gone!!!
2muttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #7 
rpadgett37

I appreciate all of the advice.

It occurred to me that any kind of wood directly from the yard would be a bad choice if for no other reason than the sap in the wood won't go away by any treatment I can think of.

I'll be looking into Manzita wood. Thanks for the suggestion.

As an aside, I looked on YouTube at videos regarding Driftwood. There is information there, but none I found particularly helpful. Tended towards just showing off what they found but nothing beyond that other than to say "isn't this cool?" I get far better information here.

Last edited by rpadgett37; 02-20-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: One extra word
Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #8 
2muttz

rpadgett37 ~ you can also look into cholla wood. RusselltheShihTzu on this forum has been selling some at very reasonable costs. She had pieces in all sizes.

Here is the link:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=321018

Not sure if she still has any, but you could try to pm her. I've bought some and it is very very nice - pretty colors and actually sinks fairly quickly ( way more so then my Lake M. driftwood.!)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #9 
rpadgett37

Thanks for the link 2Muttz. I've contacted her to see what she has left. The pieces look awesome.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #10 
2muttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpadgett37 View Post
Thanks for the link 2Muttz. I've contacted her to see what she has left. The pieces look awesome.
You're very welcome! I found them to be even nicer in real life than the photos show. Good luck.