Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #1 
ArnoldsGram

Help! Can't Keep Betta Frye Alive >2 Weeks

I've had a tough time keeping my betta frye alive - through three separate cycles they've only made it to about 2 weeks. I've changed their water weekly (even tried using only pond water in the changeovers), tried different betta baby foods such as "Hikari's First Bites", cooked egg yolk diluted w/water, frozen brine shrimp (unfrozen when I feed it to them), I've tried grinding up the little Hikari balls, grinding up freeze dried blood worms, grinding up betta fish flakes. I keep the water consistently warm, but not too warm. My grown bettas are fine, I just can't get the babies to grow past two weeks. It looks like they gradually just waste away. Any suggestions?
Thanks! ArnoldsGram
ArnoldsGram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Betta fry cannot eat what adults eat. I would recommend feeding them microworms, newly hatched baby brine shrimp, infusoria or vinegar eels.They need live food.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #3 
ArnoldsGram

Hi Dramaqueen, Thanks for the tips - I'll try to hunt that stuff down!
ArnoldsGram
ArnoldsGram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #4 
JamieTron

You could try growing your own infusia, there are at home methods to grow it. Basically you are promoting microscopic organism growth here is a link I found which describes a good way to grow you own for cheap.

http://www.mbunamadness.com/forum3/v...p?f=103&t=1771

http://scienceray.com/biology/growing-infusoria/
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:38 AM   #5 
cindylou

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm with Dramaqueen and having you feed them BBS, they will only eat live foods. Also you might want to do waterchanges everyday for about 1 month then change to twice a week. Feed BBS for at least 3 months then you can probably get them to eat frozen BS. You may also want to put a sponge filter in the tank to keep it clean in between changes. Hope I could help.
cindylou is offline   Reply With Quote