Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Question about 'seeding' a tank

So many questions lately! Okay, so I got a new betta in a 5 gallon Eclipse hex tank. I set it all up last night. The hex comes with it's own filter. In my cycled 16 I have an aquaclear 30 with those little cylinder things in a bag. I took one of the cylinders and kept it in water while I was setting up and then put it right in the hex filter, under the water flow. I also put some of Tango's gravel in the tank and three plants that came from the 16 tank went in too. Just now I did an API test and I got .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. I just did a 10% change to the water. I'm assuming I 'seeded' properly since I'm having nitrates on the second day of the tank. Am I correct? I'm kinda new to cycling.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Sounds great to me!!! :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Are you sure you have nitrAtes? Generally you have to have NitrItes to create NitrAtes... it could be that the bacteria you have just put out left over nitrates. But yes you did do it correctly. There's really no bad way to do it.. just take anything from a cycled tank (filter media, gravel, plants, decorations) and put it in the new tank and thats 'seeded'
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I'm sure. The complicated way they make you mix the nitrates always reminds me that's what I'm testing for. :P But you're right, I didn't consider that the bacteria could put out the nitrates all by themselves. Well, I'll keep an eye on things daily and keep up with the 10% changes.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Are you doing a fish-in cycle? If so I would do at least 20-30% water changes a day if your ammonia is reading 0.25ppm or more (just to keep it safe for your fish). I couldn't tell from your op which form of cycling you were doing :)
Old 01-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #6 
vaygirl

No, he's in there. I'll step it up then, thanks. :)
Old 01-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

No problem :) A good rule of thumb I always use is 20-30% for anything 0.50ppm and less and no more than 50% for anything 0.50ppm and up. BUT if your readings get over 1.00ppm do a BIG water change.. like 60-80% because those are dangerous levels.

Patience is key.. its going to take a while with just one fish.. but it'll be worth it in the end.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #8 
vaygirl

Today it was 0 ammonia, very slight nitrites (It was in between blue and lavender) and 5 nitrates. I did the 20% today after I tested. I'll continue with my changes and testing tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice. I used strips with my 16 gallon and I probably had crazy numbers that I never realized. Now I know better.

Even in the fish book I have they tell you to refer to the manual that comes with your test kit for an explanation of the numbers and when to do water changes because of them. My API master kit, good as it is, doesn't really tell you what you should do.