bsmurray

My betta tank

Attached photos.

Comments, critiques, questions welcome
Attached Images

bsmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #2 
ABETTAVOICE

Looks beautiful and cozy!! I might consider taking the floating log out though, it'll give him more swimming space. You could always add it later on if you decide to get a larger tank (not saying the tanks to small, just that the log looks a bit big). Very attractive.
ABETTAVOICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #3 
Fishybitty

Holy moss ball! hahah that's awesome it is so big!

Love the tank though, simple and pretty!

(I had a betta log and the color was coming off so be careful!)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #4 
bsmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
Holy moss ball! hahah that's awesome it is so big!

Love the tank though, simple and pretty!

(I had a betta log and the color was coming off so be careful!)

Thanks!

Yeah, funny thing is, the moss ball is what got this whole tank set up started. I used to have aquarium set ups when I was younger, and haven't had any set up in the recent years because Ive been busy with other stuff and my for my birthday (feb 10) my gf bought me the moss ball and I thought it would be cool to set it up in a betta tank.

I find bettas to be cool fish and aquariums to be relaxing and stress reducing. That is why this tank is right next to my bed haha.

I just took out the betta log, that was an impulse buy from Petsmart. It served a great purpose in cutting off the current from the filter outlet. My setting is set to low flow and when positioned towards the water surface it really swirls around the whole tank and my betta always looks like he's struggling to fight the current. I noticed when I turn the outlet downwards the current isn't so harsh.

Id like suggestions as to what else to add in there in terms of plants, and if any sort of decor like driftwood would take up too much swim space or not. The tank itself is a 2.5 gallon desk tank from Petco, with a built in rear overflow and filter. I think I got a great deal for it at $49.99. Even came with the led lights. In the back part I also have a submersible heater (25 watt).

Id like to put some java moss or some type of moss plant for the ground, hopefully it attaches itself to the lava rock.

Theres also a pack of betta bulbs in there, the tank is only two days old so I don't expect them to sprout any time soon. As far as substrate goes, black sand from Petco. I have a plant fertilizer and was wondering how often I should dose the tank with it. After each water change?

I also read about cherry shrimp. What are the pros/cons of adding one of these little critters in there? I don't want to do too much bio overload, with the betta and a nerite snail in there for the time being.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #5 
Joey Fish

I really like the tank. Is the other plant in there alive or fake? Both java fern and anubias are good plants to anchor to wood or rock, but i have no idea on how to dose fertilizers. If you want a more natural looking tank, I would suggest small Mopani wood from Zoomed. Amazon sword and dwarf hairgrass are also great plants

Last edited by Joey Fish; 02-21-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #6 
bsmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Fish View Post
I really like the tank. Is the other plant in there alive or fake? Both java fern and anubias are good plants to anchor to wood or rock, but i have no idea on how to dose fertilizers. If you want a more natural looking tank, I would suggest small Mopani wood from Zoomed. Amazon sword and dwarf hairgrass are also great plants

Yes, the two plants in the back are amazon swords. I bought those at Petsmart. I think I'm going to start going to a local fish store for my live stuff now because I think the way petsmart sells their plants is sketchy in those plastic tubes.