Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Exclamation EeeK!!! Filter Scare

Well, I just moved my betta into his own tank (because I saw him nip one of the frogs) and the new tank (a 2.5) has a little mini filter in it, a whisper mini.

I had to leave for the weekend, so as I was walking out the door I checked on him one more time - and it looked like he was stuck to the filter intake!!

Of course, I completely freaked out and turned off the filter, but he didn't move until I poked him, when he drifted to the bottom and sat there looking terrified. I still had to leave, I've had my roommate watching him and she says he's doing fine. I left the filter off.

Why on earth would he get stuck to the filter intake?! Is it okay to have a filter in a 2.5?! I thought it was, but maybe I missed something....
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #2 
BakaMandy

Sometimes a filter is too strong, so I use a simple solution.

I went to the pet store/fish store and bought a small filter media and poked a hole in it and shoved the filter stick thingie down the hole till the holes in the filter rod was covered.

Sometimes Shota is lazy and leans against the side of the sponge and it'll suck him up against it gently, but it won't hurt him. He swims away whenever he wants to. His tank is 3gallons, and this set up works absolutely fine. I've also used this to reduce the current of the filter so that Shota isn't being pushed around all the time, making swimming less exhausting.

:) It's a friendly way to protect betta fish and their fins.

(I don't have any decorations in there cause he's still recovering from fin rot and not many decorations makes his tank easier to clean @_@;)

Last edited by BakaMandy; 01-17-2010 at 04:43 PM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

the best way to baffle a whisper is the pantyhose trick.. just cut the pantyhose 2-3in from the toe and slip it over the bottom of your filter. That should do the trick.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

o-o That's a really good idea! I might use it for my ADF tank.

The filter that I have in my 2.5, though, doesn't have that thing sticking down.... hold on, I'll get a photo...

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...d=1276&cid=565

That looks kinda like it.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #5 
BakaMandy

OHHH! I went and googled Whisper Mini xD and all i got was one that looked similar to the one i took a picture of.

D: Internal filters aren't really good for bettas at all, cause it usually generates a pretty strong current and bettas hate currents because their long fins make it a bit harder to swim.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #6 
FuulieQ

-_- Seriously?

Well, I can't take it back... any idea how I can make the current weaker?

Maybe it has settings.... or perhaps if I put pantyhose over the whole thing...
Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I have internal filters in two of my tanks and they work just fine. Do the pantyhose trick.. it'll keep your betta's fins safe and slow the flow down.. you can also cut a piece of a plastic water bottle to buffer it. Let me know and I'll put some pics up of my whisper filter and its buffers.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

Ahhh, please do! That would be extremely helpful!

I love this forum, everyone's so helpful and tolerant of my newbie-ness. <3
Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #9 
BakaMandy

Oh! 1Fish2fish that would be useful to know :D I'm writing a huge document on Betta fish care (it's already 6 pages long with over 3000 words =v=;;) :O I would like to include that tip xD
Old 01-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

LOL we were all newbies once! I got my start on these forums too and every once in a while I still have to ask for advice.

Here is my filter with the pantyhose (keep in mind that it needs to be cleaned once in a while.. this is mine really dirty..I'd just got back from christmas break)

Here are a few of the plastic bottle.. now this is for my whisper in my 10 gallon so you would need a smaller version of this. (Also since doing the pantyhose I haven't needed the bottle bc the pantyhose keeps the flow low)

Top View

Side View

I don't know if you'll be able to tell but I cut notches so the plastic bottle fits snugly onto the top of the filter. I also cut a crescent shape out of the bottom part of the plastic to fit around the body of the filter.