Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #1 
sandy42

Angry my betta is sick.

My betta fish (hENDRICKS) is really sick.He is 1yrs old.In an 10 gl tank by himself.Water temp 78.PH around 6.8.Not eaten in 4 days,just lays on the bottom of tank.We did water change.Bettafix twice.ANY HELP?
sandy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Do you have aquarium salt? I'd throw in a little of that. I'm not too sure about the bettafix, I've heard mixed things about that. What is the temperature of the water? Is he bloated?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #3 
sandy42

Water temp is 78.Tried salt water bath in a cup,did'nt like it at all.We thought he was going to die .
Old 01-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Did you read the thread on here how to do it? You have to make sure that you put the right amount of salt in because it doesn't evaporate. Also, you have to make sure that ALL of the salt dissolves so there's no salt rocks left because this can burn your betta. Warm water and stirring it helps dissolve it faster. 78 degrees is great. He could be bored of the food. What do you feed him? My fish are all pigs, so they'll never get bored with just pellets, but some fish are picky.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #5 
sandy42

Yes we have been reading everthing we can for three days.This is not our first aquarium.But a first with a betta fish.Which we received for a B-Day gift. We feed him flakes. But he never eats alot. He likes to eat the plant roots.But has not eaten in 4 days.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Hmmm bettas are carnivores so I'm not sure why he would be eating a plant...I switched from flakes to pellets because it was hard to monitor the appropriate measuring and they contaminate the water a lot faster. I would try some pellets. Some people feed theirs blood worms and shrimp. I don't so I couldn't tell you what ones to get or how much to feed. But if your betta is picky, that's a great way to spice it up for him.