Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #1 
Set

Question Betta not eating?

I've had a female Betta in a 12g with a school of harlequin rasboras for two weeks. Recently (past three days) she's been harder and harder to find (not swimming around as much) and not eating. She doesn't swim to the top to get brine shrimp or flakes, but she does lunge at little particles floating around down below. She occasionally shows stress stripes, but at the moment she's pretty solid except for one mini stripe (.5cm) by her face. Should I be worried? What should I do? I'm going to my LFS today, and I'll ask them about her as well.

Thanks!
Set
Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I don't know what fish are good with bettas, but I've never heard of those types of fish recommended. I did a quick search online and it said that they weren't good with bettas. If she's showing stress stripes and tries to get away from everything, I would get her her own tank. I wouldn't bother asking a petstore, 99% of the time, they give you false information. If you got a 29G or something like that, I don't think it would be a problem for the female if she had lots of places to hide, but with a 12G she probably feels insecure.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #3 
Set

Thanks for the info. My LFS seems to be pretty reputable however, but her health does seem to be declining. I doubt I'll be able to afford a second tank, maybe the fish store would be willing to take her back? They're not a cup store, the female bettas are all together in a fairly large, clean tank. She has tons of places to hide, short plants, tall plants and a house, hence, it's really hard to check on her if she doesn't want to be found.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

A lot of people on here have kritter keepers. $10 for a 3G. Most of my tanks are Mini-bows and I love them.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #5 
Set

Alrighty, she's still hard to find, but swimming around a bit more. No eating yet, but she still lunges after stuff lower down. She swims to teh top, she just doesn't eat anything.

A kritter keeper? Wow, I had no idea. Besides a heater, plants, and possibly lights, what would be needed? My dream betta tank would be a 5g divided, but I'm a) not sure that's enough space, and b) pretty sure I can't afford it. However I may have one in my basement, just your basic terrarium. If I set that up with a heater, light, and filter, could that work out? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #6 
Set

Wow. I have a 7.3 gallon aquarium in my basement! I had no idea. I don't think it has a hood, but I see what looks like a light fixture in it. It's nothing fancy, just your basic aquarium/terrarium. It holds water well though, I had an aquatic frog in it years ago. Wowzer. I'm glad I found that. I'm going shopping today and I'll see if I can make it work.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

The recommended tank size is 2Gs or more. That's great that you found the 7.3G! You might want to look into finding something to cover it because females are classic jumpers. Just make sure before you add her that you clean the tank with hot water and you can use a little vinegar if you need to, but the hot water should work. If you're going to use a filter, do you know how to cycle? Good luck!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #8 
Set

Yep! Thanks, I do know how to cycle :) And, upon further digging in my basement, I uncovered a cover in multiple pieces that weren't too hard to put together. Thanks for all of your help!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

That's great! You're very welcome. :)
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #10 
Set

Well, I've set up the new tank and it's currently cycling, but things have taken a turn for the worse. I've done some internet research and I've unprofessionally diagnosed her with dropsy. She is unable to swim, pine-coning, nearly colorless, and terribly bloated. I've taken her out of her tank and placed her in a large shallow Tupperware container so that she will be better able to reach the top for oxygen.