Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #1 
Valentino14

"Bred only for show"

So I was chatting with my coworker today... at petco, I really expected some better opinions. But she said being in the smaller bowls really doesn't bother them because their heavy fins make it hard to swim anyways. And a filter would kill them because their fins would get shredded.
I correctd her but I don't think it sunk in. How can I improve her view? I don't think I could really tell her to check out this forum or anything, and I just started the job so I don't want to cause bitterness.
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #2 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Honestly, sometimes with work (ok all the damn time) you just have to hold your tongue, and make that money. I would avoid lecturing, and do more show and tell. I think you're at a big box store, from what I've read (I have a life...) so it might not work, but if you can convince your higherups to let you have a 'store mascot' betta in a nice big filtered tank... show people what they can be. That would be a really good teaching tool for a ton of people... and people buying bigger tanks means more money!!!
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I kind of like the idea of a store mascots.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #4 
haveyouhadyourteayet

They are the best XD I'm trying to convince one of my employers that we need a fish!! As long as bleach and perm fumes wouldn't be detrimental...
Old 02-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #5 
Sathori

At work, we have "example" tanks/2 gallon bowls on display for sale.

Meaning we put in some betta-safe plastic plants, some rocks and a hide or two and plunk one of the bettas into the bowl. Then we have a sign set up stating how much it would cost to simply pick up that bowl and buy it with everything inside (including the betta). That way people can see how nice a larger bowl/tank looks and it seems to increase sales with bigger tanks/bowls.
Plus then we can get some of the bettas (who seem to be stressed in their cups) into something larger so they can relax a bit better. Then people can also see how much happier the betta is in a larger amount of water.

We have our setup right by the checkout counter so customers can see it better. Kids love it and actually want to go with a bigger tank/bowl because they like how cool it looks. Once we caught their attention, we hand out a brochure that I whipped up on Word document with all kinda of facts and neat information that will help them remember the important stuff when they take their betta home. On that brochure has the store phone number in case they need to call with some questions :)

We have "converted" a lot of customers from small tanks to larger ones. We are stomping out myths and false information one customer at a time ;)
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #6 
haveyouhadyourteayet

That is a BRILLIANT idea!!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

My Petsmart had an "example tank "but unfortunately it was one of those plastic half gallon things. Grrr
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #8 
Chipl

Has anyone thought of replicating the rice paddies? Like having a ton of plants in a really long tank that several bettas could be put in.
Chipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #9 
Valentino14

That is a really good idea! I'm super new but maybe in a few weeks I could bring it up
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipl View Post
Has anyone thought of replicating the rice paddies? Like having a ton of plants in a really long tank that several bettas could be put in.

Yes in fact they have, check out this you tube video, its so amazing !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkfWg35lgXU
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote