Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2014, 03:46 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If that tank were as long as a rice paddy or small bong or canal, then you could put in several Betta. But, as long as there's no chance to escape--- because of tank walls ---having several Betta is a dangerous situation (except for females as a sorority). Nice dream though.

A well-equipped set-up as a "sample" or example is a brilliant idea. I'm happy to hear that it works for your store. It's an idea that should be spread around.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-24-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #12 
Valentino14

I completely agree. I already know more about bettas and tanks than the guy that has been there for 5 years... he told two women it'll take about a day to completely cycle a 29 gallon aquarium. A DAY. Then when they got to the checkout I set them straight and told them to do more research. I also talked a woman out of using distilled water for her betta and someone else almost bought one of those terrible .5 gallon bowls.
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #13 
LaniBaby

Sathori, that's awesome. Well done. I just got a press release from Petco with some horrible ideas about betta care in it - and that's what they're teaching people. I posted it in betta care if you're interested. They're suggesting that bettas don't need water changes - just keep adding as it dries up every week... sigh.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #14 
Sathori

It's unfortunate that people (including some pet store employees) will spread what they have "heard" and not what they have actually researched. There are still tons of customers that come in telling me they have a vase with a plant on top so "the betta can eat the roots". They honestly don't know any better because they listen to what they have been told. They are completely shocked to hear that what their friend told them was not true.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #15 
NorthernLights

Anytime I am in a store getting fish stuff I make it a point to listen to customer conversations around me and jump in when I hear misinformation. Usually when I tell parents that they'll need to buy at least $100 worth of stuff to take proper care of the bettas, they inform their small child that they will NOT be getting one!

I bought one of those Lee's betta cups last week and made a point to tell every employee and customer who spoke to me that this was just for putting my fish in when doing big water changes in his 5 gallon tank. I felt weird and guilty even being seen carrying one of those tiny things.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #16 
PetMania

Hopefully I can get a job at PetSmart, so I can help in the HUGE fish section and help people find the right tanks and fish.

PetCo puts some female betta groups in a tank and a male in each non-aggressive tank to show how they can live with other fish. I like that, but they still don't reinforce the necessities.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have actually corrected misinformation overheard at Petsmart and I have corrected employees.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #18 
Chipl

Once I overheard a girl saying a Betta can live in a vase with a plant and not be fed.
Chipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #19 
cowgirlsue1

Holy cow...that was amazing and perfect eco system for betta. Just need misquitoe larva and be good to go.
cowgirlsue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #20 
Vergil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipl View Post
Once I overheard a girl saying a Betta can live in a vase with a plant and not be fed.
Well, obviously not true since bettas are carnivorous fish. If they ever nip at the roots, it's normal - mine nip on their plants all the time but not necessarily to eat.
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote