Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #1 
kuklachica

worth putting a filter in a 2 gal?

I have a 2 gal I am not using and am wondering if it is even worth putting a filter in it? this is the filter I have:

http://www.petco.com/product/3199/Pe...%20Filter-3199

Is it worth putting that in there (if the hubby LETS me get another fish :) since I would have to do weekly 100% water changes anyway?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #2 
kelly528

I would say yes. Even if you still have to do weekly 100% w/cs, a filter will still circulate the water, distributing the heat and boosting oxygenation.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #3 
Exolhar

I have a 2 gal and I just ordered the "Tom Aquarium Products Mini Filter" at PetSmart for $16. I hope I chose right. I don't feel like returning it since I ordered 12 filters with it. They say to use 1 filter per month. I figure I change 50% of the water in the aquarium each two weeks. Let me know if I'm wrong...
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3523858
Exolhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #4 
kelly528

You will want to change the water every week, not every 2 weeks.

They tell you to use one filter per month but truth is that the carbon in the filter gets saturated with the chemicals it claims to absorb within about 6 days, and therefore stops absorbing. So really, you ony have to change the cartridge when it's falling apart unless you are really set on changing it every 6 days. They only say every 30 days because that is the easiest way to make the most money. If they were honest and admitted that the carbon deactivates after several days, well... nobody would buy a filter that they have to change every 6 days! So they just say every month and that way they still have you buying their filters.

If you want you could macgyver a filter cartridge out of sponge. I do so by cutting the frame out of the fiter cartridge and then attachign some open-pore sponge.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #5 
Exolhar

Thank you for the info about the filter. Also, I was wondering, if I change the water (50% per week as you say), does that mean that I don't have to buy a "liquid test kit"? And how often should I completely clean the aquarium (emptying and washing everything)? Thank you very much for your help!
Exolhar is offline   Reply With Quote