Old 01-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #1 
JamieTron

Swim Bladder Disease

Okay fish...had less than a year, male
fed betta balls, flakes and freeze dried worms
3 gallon tank about 75 f
uncycled...changed 50% every week, did a full water change just now
all silk plants

okay so just an hour ago I fed my betta some flake food and I came home and he was floating on his side having trouble swimming and oddly enough building a bubble nest...it was strange. So I scooped him out and did his water change. He can stay upright for a bit and he stays at the top of the water. Now I fed him a little extra today because I was preparing to fast my fish before I move Friday. Well could this be swim bladder disease since it was so suddenly after I fed? Did I stupidly feed him too much?

now how can I help him get over the situation?
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #2 
JamieTron

I forgot to say that he has a slightly swollen looking belly, a little bit like if a betta is constipated
Old 01-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would fast him for a few days then feed him some daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #4 
JamieTron

So he will be fine for a few days, like this will not cause him any harm or death? He seems annoyed at the situation.

I do not have any daphina at the moment as I am in the middle of moving, I was going to fast him tomorrow anyways due to the trip coming up Friday. Is there something I could use in the mean time?

He was stressed after I caught him to change his water but he seems to have settled. Do salt baths help?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Swimbladder disorder isn't fatal, thank goodness. My Merlot had it for about 7 months and somehow got over it and he's fine now. They say you can use a pea in a pinch but I don't know. Maybe he'll be ok after fasting for a few days.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #6 
JamieTron

okay thankyou drama :) His tummy looks a little bloated and he can stay upright for awhile it's been about another hour or so since I found he was swimming funny. He keeps trying to "burp" it would seem...so hopefully he will use the washroom for me :D Thanks for your advice and I am relieved that you have said hat it is not fatal yay! I am happy your fishie got better :) that's awesome :)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thanks! My fish would float on his side and then would seemingly be ok for a short time, then it would be back to floating. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I was in Florida for 2 weeks in June last year and my fish were fed every other day during the week and not fed on the weekends. I don't know if the lack of food every day helped him or not but he seemed to get better shortly afterwards.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #8 
JamieTron

Hrm perhaps I will give that a try. I'll wait and fast him until he poohs and then I'll feed him every other day for a bit after that if him relieving himself seems to help. I am surprised he got it because I fasted them all the other day, it must just have been too much flakes. I alternate through foods maybe I won't feed him flakes anymore he could be sensitive. I'll stick with the betta balls and blood worms. Once I move I think the pet store there sells frozen feeds so I may be able to get him some of that and buy some daphnia because in all the packing the one I bought to bring with me in case I want to breed some fish is now lost :( gah!

Should I lower his water or anything? I read somewhere salt baths help with constipation, but not sure if that's a good idea.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Actually, I think it might have been the flakes that did it. I fed my fish flakes right before he got sbd. Yeah, lowering the water level might help.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #10 
JamieTron

okay thanks drama :)