Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #1 
kevinnewwin

Unhappy Cycling help!

So i have a 5 gallon tank uncycled with 1 betta, and a small marimo moss ball. It's filtered and heated. It has been about 11-12 days since I've had my betta and did 2 50% water changes so far. The first one was 3 days after I got him, i went to my LFS (used the liquid set) and tested for ammonia and reading was 0 but i went and did a water change anyway. Then after another 4 or 5 days i went to petco to get my water tested again (dip strip), and reading was .5ppm so i did a 50% water change. Today (3 days later) I went to 2 different LFS and my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were all 0 (liquid test). Is a single betta not enough to establish a cycle for a 5 gallon tank?

By the way, I use Tetra AquaSafe Plus water conditioner and I don't have a test kit at home since it's out of my budget.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Should i be worried?
kevinnewwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #2 
givemethatfish

It can take weeks to cycle a tank, plus a smaller tank is harder to establish a stable cycle. It can definitely be done, but it may take some patience. I've just been through cycling a 5 gallon tank, and it took about 3 months. I personally did 50% water changes every other day for the majority of the cycle as well as usually one 100% per week. You really need to keep ammonia and nitrites as close to 0 as possible, and nitrates should be kept under 10-20 ppm.

Just be sure you use the water conditioner correctly and consistently. The chlorine in tap water can kill off all the bacteria you're trying to establish (and your fish as well) if you don't neutralize it. Don't change your filter media out. Do regular water changes, get your water tested as often as you can at your LFS. Be sure you remove any uneaten food, as it can add to the ammonia in the water. It might take a few weeks of very close attention, but after your tank is cycled it's just a matter of establishing a simple weekly maintenance schedule. It's totally worth it to have a nice stable cycle.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Pretty good advice from gmtf. But most keepers find a 5g pretty easy to cycle. As long as you don't clean the filter and overclean the substrate, your tank will cycle automatically. You'd have to work to prevent it.

As far as I can determine, Tetra Aquasafe removes chlorine, but does nothing to detoxify ammonia. Treating ammonia is important in a small tank. It's the main reason most keepers use Prime by Seachem as their water conditioner. Prime is concentrated so it costs less per dose, and it puts less chemicals into your tank. It treats ammonia so it's harmless to your fish, but can still be used by your nitrifying bacteria.

It would be better and safer if you had a test kit:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379756505&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater"]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]

It will help you monitor your cycle. And it's just a good thing to have on hand.

Without it, I'd suggest you do at least two 50% water changes per week. Dose Prime @ 2-drops/gal with changes, and 1-drop/gal daily until cycled. But you really won't know when that is unless you can test your water regularly.

(Unless you have a special relationship with your petstore, they'll get tired of your having them test water for you.)
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #4 
kevinnewwin

Thanks gmtf and Hallyx. Wish I read up a little more on water conditioners before i decided to get AquaSafe >.< would've gotten Prime instead but what's done is done.

I guess I will just continue to do 2 50% water changes weekly for the next couple of weeks and I'll try to get my hands on some water tests.

Also I might try TSS. Any thoughts?

Last edited by kevinnewwin; 02-24-2014 at 01:58 AM.
kevinnewwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

TSS works fine IF it has never been frozen or overheated. and if it has not sat on the shelf more than 6-months.

Using Aquasafe, you're messing with what's called "free ammonia," the dangerous kind. You don't know your pH, so you don't know how dangerous it is (Ph makes a difference).

Without Prime, my recommendation would be to do a 50% wc every other day.

If you can only afford either Prime or TSS, I'd say get the Prime. After your tank is cycled, you can go back and finish the Aquasafe if you absolutely must.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-24-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote